Two basketball players verbally committ to CMU
Two high school basketball have verbally committed to attend CMU.
CM LIFE has learned that Joseph Carr and Kevin Nelson will play basketball for the Chippewas starting in the 2002-2003 season.
Carr, a 5-9 point guard, is from Detroit Renaissance High School.
Nelson, a 6-2 shooting guard, is from Detroit Country Day High School.
Nelson was selected as a Class B first-team selection for the 2000-01 season, averaging 18.5 points per game while shooting over 50-percent from behind the three-point line.
Kurt Keener, head boy’s varsity basketball coach for Country Day, says Nelson will be a good fit for CMU.
“He’s (Nelson) a very solid student and a good, hard-working kid,” Keener said.
“He’s seen CMU turn the corner last season to becoming an elite program and wants to be a part of a winning program.”
Keener said Nelson’s strengths are his competitiveness, shooting range, ability to get off his feet quickly, ball handling and defense.
“He’s a very skilled player,” Keener said.
“Kevin is a good scorer who can create his own shot, with, or without the ball.”
Nelson, who golfed when first attending Country Day, started last season at 165 lbs.
This summer has been the first time Nelson has done any extensive weight training, Keener said.
“Kevin was a relative unknown until breaking out last season,” Keener said.
“He’s a wiry kid, but golfing didn’t require the weight training that basketball does. He will benefit from this summer and then continue to get stronger and better when he is involved with the weight training program at CMU.”
Nelson will follow two other current Country Day alumni to CMU in David Webber and Mike Manciel.
“I have tremedous respect for the CMU program and Coach Smith,” Keener added.
“I hope we can keep the pipeline from Country Day to CMU open for years to come.”
Renaissance coach Mark White was unavailable for comment.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- xe yamaha,xe may yamaha,xe máy yamaha,yamaha,gia xe yamaha,giá xe Yamaha,tim xe may Yamaha: Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished…
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here