Sport and Fitness Day to promote athletics
The university recreation department is sponsoring its fourth annual National Recreational Sport and Fitness Day today.
“It’s an international event occurring every year on Feb. 22 to highlight the professional organization (National Intramural Recreational Sports Association),” said Makyba Lyons, university recreation fitness and wellness graduate assistant. “It promotes the benefits of participating in professional sports.”
The event is open to all ages from 6 to 9 p.m. today at the Student Activity Center, she said.
A free kickboxing aerobics class will take place from 7 to 8 p.m. in the MAC 1 gym and intramural games from 6 to 9 p.m., Lyons said.
Grip strength tests, massages and blood pressure screenings will be conducted by the athletic training department, she said.
“We’re also having a membership special,” Lyons said.
A six-month SAC membership with a $25 discount, as well as a bonus package of bowling passes, an eight-punch aerobic punch card and glow bowling information, were offered this week, she said.
“University recreation employees and Minority Student Services will be working the event,” Lyons said. “We will have children’s events. We’re establishing a fair-like atmosphere in the Student Activity Center.”
Bingo, children’s games and table tennis also will be available, she said.
The day was founded in 1950 by NIRSA, Lyons said. The day paid tribute to 11 of the historically black universities that met at Dillard’s University in New Orleans to form NIRSA.
CMU has celebrated the event since 1999, Lyons said.
Minority Student Services helped organize the event, she said.
Because February is Black History Month, and the day concerned 11 historically black colleges, university recreation thought the event was appropriate.
“The event is open and free to all community members and SAC members,” Lyons said. “It’s a part of our program’s mission and purpose.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here