CMU Festival Chorus seeks singers
The Central Michigan University Festival Chorus is holding auditions for area singers wanting to be part of this year’s musical ensemble.
“Anyone may sing with the Festival Chorus, although new members will be asked to sing a simple song and scales to demonstrate an ability to carry a tune,” said CMU choral director Nina Nash-Robertson.
The chorus, a group composed of students, facility, staff and townspeople are looking for 250 singers to take part in their presentation of “Dona nobis Pacem” (“Grant us Peace”), a cantata by English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams.
“‘Grant us Peace,’ is one of the better-known, larger works from a composer famous for taking pop material and raising it to a high level of art,” said Alan Gumm, associate professor of music education and director of CMU’s Women’s Chorus.
The Festival Chorus will perform “Grant us Peace” November 22 and 23, as well as on Easter Sunday, when they perform at New York’s Carnegie Hall with the Manhattan Philharmonic.
Auditions began last week with final auditions 7 p.m. Monday in the choir room of the Music Building.
Saginaw freshman, Amy Doepker chose to audition for the Festival Chorus, said, “It’s all fun, something to do in your spare time that keeps you singing.”
She said the auditioning process was rather painless.
“It’s really easy, basically they want to know your vocal range,” she said.
Auditions function on a walk-in basis, and participants will find out instantaneously whether they have been selected as part of the chorus.
In case of conflict, extra audition times can be arranged by calling Nash-Robertson at 774-3391.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here