Metro

Bridal shop on Mission Street closing

For the first time in 12 years, there will not be a bridal shop at 1014 S. Mission St.

Owner of Elizabeth’s Elegant Bridal Elizabeth Soderquist is closing her bridal gown shop when she empties her inventory.

“I love this and I love being a part of people’s weddings,” Soderquist said.

Soderquist’s shop had been open for three and a half years after her company replaced a different bridal shop, but the struggling economy is making it difficult on her.

“People are really budget shopping right now. The last thing you want to do is pick out something you cannot afford to do and start your married life in a mountain of debt,” Soderquist said.

Brides with dresses on order will be receiving their dresses no matter what, she said.

“It’s a nightmare — I couldn’t do that to somebody,” Soderquist said.

Another shop in the mall closing

Soderquist did not believe the location of her store was a factor in its closure.

Video Land, next to Elizabeth’s Elegant Bridal, closed this past spring.

Mount Pleasant Sewing Center and Quilt Shop, 1024 S. Mission St., liked the location. The company moved from 2157 S. Mission St. about one year ago.

“Here, we have so much better visibility, parking is better, our signage is better to Mission,” said owner Shirley Thompson.

Soderquist does not know who will move into her property when she leaves, but there are plans to fill the space between her store and the sewing shop.

“There’s gonna be a party store put in there within a month,” said James Fox, co-owner of the property.

Working together

Over the past three years, Soderquist worked closely with Kirk Dafoe, owner of Black-Tie Tuxedo and Costume, 1017 S. Mission St.

“She’d give us swatch collars from her manufactures, and she has our catalogues over there,” Dafoe said.

The two shops also worked together at the annual Mount Pleasant Bridal Show, and the two showcase each other’s merchandise in their windows.

Dafoe said his company also felt the crunch of the economy, but feels 2010 will be a much better year.

“We’ve had a few weddings postponed (to 2010),” Dafoe said.

Keith Levi, owner of Mid-Michigan Tux and Bridal in Remus, is thinking of opening a branch in Mount Pleasant.

“We’re growing real fast and they don’t have anything like we offer,” Levi said.

Mid-Michigan Bridal and Tux is scheduled to open later in the fall at 1139 S. Mission St.

1. Well, Elizabeth totally creaped me out when I went in there with a friend. I would totally never go in there again and have told my friends not to. She is a bit too touchy feel-y and wants more information than is needed. Will not miss the store at all- good riddens!

2. My boyfriend just proposed to me and plan. I am hoping for a late summertime wedding but we haven’t complete much preparation yet. I was suggestions about when is the perfect time to buy the wedding dress?

3. I think its a shame that Mid Michigan Tux and Bridal will be opening up in Mt. Pleasant. I had my three bridesmaids order dresses from them and it turned into a nightmare. My girls got their dresses two days before the wedding!!! The business handled it quite poorly by failing to call or inform me that there were problems regarding the dresses being shipped. The only employee that was helpful was a woman named Kelly. The rest of the girls that worked there were complete air heads, not helpful and would promise to call me back and then never would. I wish I would have had the chance for my girls to get their Alfred Angelo dresses from Elegant Bridal!

• I would really like to here more about your experience with Mid Michigan Tux and Bridal. We are currently dealing with the owner as he now works out of his home. My daughter (th bride) starting working with him months ago and since I have gotten involved I have a very bad feeling about how this company operates. The wedding is July 2011 and we have already partially paid for dresses and been fitted for tuxes along with down payments on the tuxes. This company has been hounding my daughter for more money every single week even though we have paid about 50% of the total bill. My daughter even bought her wedding dress off the rack and this gentleman continuously is telling us how we are putting him in a bind by not paying this in full. We are still 7 months from the wedding for gosh sakes! Am I being naive or does this situation have cause for me to worry? The only thing he isn’t pressuring us on is the tux balance as this will be paid when tuxes are p/u two days before the wedding. Dresses were ordered in November 2010 and he is saying that we will get delivery in June 2011. Any input would be helpful. Thank You.

• Mid_michigan_tuxedos says:

Dear Gerry sorry you feel that way about my company, But I never had a contract with you ,I had a contract with your daughter, which has a privacy clause, I never wanted to reply to this comment but how ever you have given me no choice, Before helping your daughter I spoke with your wife and your daughter about my company, they understood it was under construction and I was not taking any customers at that time, Your Daughter insisted on getting her wedding dress right away, So I said all sales are final, We have no refund policy. Miss Prescott was unable to pay all of the payment up front so my company offered to do a layaway plan for them, Which means that there will be a bi-weekly payment , most places if you don’t comply to the payment plan the merchandise goes back on the racks, however we try to work  with our customers. I  called Miss Prescott for a payment and she never responded back , so after two months went by I told Miss Prescott If I was unable to get a payment I had to cancel our contract and she would loose her layaway plan, So her father called me to talk about what he needed to do , I told him that I needed to receive the balance of his daughter’s wedding gown and Gerry Prescott told me that he needed a few weeks to come up with the balance and I agreed to wait and he still wanted to receive discounts after giving my company the run around , I Just wanted to receive the balance of the wedding plan and be done with that situation, So you see everything would have been on schedule If the company were receiving the customer payment in a timely order.     Thank you for your understanding  

• Mid_michigan_tuxedos says:

• Mid_michigan_tuxedos says:

To Brianna: My name is Keith Levi i am not sure what your reasons are for the comments you are implying about mid michigan tuxs and bridal. I have never participated planning any wedding day for you nor sold you a dress, but whatever your reasons are, I’m sorry you feel that way, But if your bridesmaides recieved there dresses 2 days before the wedding, maybe that was the date for delivery, meaning the bridesmaides receive their dresses on time and before the wedding. Thank you for your understanding Keith Levi

• Mid_michigan_tuxedos says: