University

UPDATED: Board of Trustees approve acquisition of WFUM TV station in Flint

The Central Michigan University Board of Trustees has approved a proposal to submit an offer to purchase WFUM TV in Flint for no more than $1 million.

The television station, currently owned and operated by the University of Michigan, would broadcast from Bay City to the metro Detroit area, Interim University President Kathy Wilbur said the board viewed it as an opportunity to significantly expand the university’s coverage into critical areas such as southeast Michigan.

“It allows us to expand academic programs on the behalf of CMU, especially through Prof Ed,” Wilbur said. “We’re so focused on our enrollment question and retention question, this gives us another avenue in which to pursue that.”

The Board met in special session today in the President’s Conference Room in the Bovee University Center to discuss the television station.

A purchase and interim management agreement will now be drafted so CMU can take over the station as soon as possible.

“This is very common in the broadcast world because of the normal delays in getting approval for a change in ownership through the FCC,” said Ed Grant, general manager for CMU Public Broadcasting.

Check cm-life.com for more updates.

1. Do it. But what will be on it?

2. Absolutely. Get the station. The cost is well worth the exposure that the station provides for the university. Moreover, it is a great tool for introducing children and adults to educational, recreational, and informative programming. I went to CMU after growing up with CMU Public Television. Get it and expand the program.

3. Congratulations to CMU for understanding the value of educational broadcasting and its importance to the educational mission of the university and to the surrounding communities.
    U of M apparently never really understood this.
    U of M’s loss will be CMU’s gain.

4. Shame of U of M for not seeing what CMU does in that it is a Media Tool, not a liability. Go CHIPS!!!

5. Ok why do we need a PBS station in Flint ! It is overlaped by Three other PBS stations . Total Goverment WASTE , WFUM should be shut down to make PBS more efficient . Waste Waste Waste Your Tax dollars down the Tubes !!!!
    Only Reason CMU wants it for is to siphen money out of Oakland county and take away from the other three PBS stations serving that area . Give me a break Image for the College! Wake up Tax Boondogle .

6. Hopefully WCMU can make good use of this addition.

7. Hmmmm Just started to think about this . How does a STATE run University come up with a Million dollars to fund this purchase . The STATE which is strapped for cash and cannot afford STATE Police or funding K thru 12 but A STATE run University can find 1 million dollars of STATE money to purchase this luxury item . I think the STATE needs to look at how they are funding WealthyCMU.

8. Professor Longley says:

Although the FCC may predict TV service from Bay City, Lansing, and Detroit area PBS stations, they do not in fact serve Genesee County very well at all. And now, especially, the new DTV signals are weak at best. The FCC DTV city grade and fringe service areas are a joke in the TV industry. Years ago, advertisers made the incorrect decision to not advertise on Flint radio stations for the same reason. And those advertisers didn’t reach Flint listeners.

Before WFUM Channel 28 came on the air, the PBS stations had such weak signals that PBS allowed WJRT-TV 12 to air Sesame Street.

9. Since the station is being purchased from U of M, another STATE school, really the money is staying in-house.

10. U of M’s loss will be CMU’s gain. I have Dish Network at my home in Midland and get both 35 and 28 but not a CMU station. The schedules of the two stations allow a greater variety of programs at specific times. Finally, CMU will add programs to those already interested in the school and gain better public awareness in the Flint area. I am a CMU graduate and I say go for it!

11. Wake Up Paul
    IT IS TAX money Not money staying in house ! You and I paid that tax money …..which I am not very happy in the way the tax money is being spent . How many ABC or NBC or Fox stations do you see overlaping each other in this market . But we have four PBS stations …..Da Yup Goverment waste point blank !

12. Reply to Proffesor Longley
    46 dBu is considered primary coverage AS MEASURED not calculated. all three of the PBS stations have 46 dBu in this market !
    PBS was paid by WJRT tv to air Sesame Street . WJRT paid for the right to air it . As there was no objection from the other stations it went thru .As a rule PBS affiliated stations do not block or hold air rights to a cable market or over the air like NBC or ABC / FOX stations do .
    At that time that WJRT tv aired Sesame Street WDCQ TV 19 did not have the penatration into the Flint market due to there low tower (500 ft) located at there campus . But now with there 1000 foot tower the need for the WFUM service is no longer needed as the Flint market is covered very well by that service . Basic antennas have no problem picking up the Digitial service in Flint.
    Lets Face it Just think of the Auto industry ….there are to many Car Dealers serviceing this market which has lost nearly half of it’s residents .
    Lets also face there is more to this then just getting a signal to the people in Flint. Take a look at the Cable markets THAT MUST CARRY TV 28 and you will see why WCMU is Power Grabing this station. Bottom Line they want the pledge dollars and the under wrighter’s from the Comcast CABLE Coverage which frankly they do not really care about Flint. Look at the Coverage to the south and where the Money is at . The reason the other three did not persue purchaseing TV 28 was Why ! We already have a signal there no need to waste money on dual coverage . BUT WCMU has no ( 0% ) in this market so it is new money and it will suck it away from the other Three PBS operations.
    I just hope CPB and PBS see’s this and does not alow CMU to operate TV 28 as a Satelite for free ! WCMU is not filling in a hole or weak spot they are increasing Market share in a New Market so should have to pay like the other’s!
    Now Proffessor with the State Of Michigan in such Dire Budget straights , Can you tell me how a STATE funded University can find 1 million bucks ! That is the real question ! We the Tax payer wants to know !

13. Professor Longley says:

I have several questions, Dave.

1) Who measured the signals?
    2) Where did they measure the signals?
    3) At what height above ground did they measure the signals?
    4) What was the ground elevation at the measured locations?

I’d like to see the actual study.

Even if they measured a usable signal at 30 feet above ground, I doubt that there would be a high penetration of actual receivers, with older outside antennas, and still a lot of people using indoor antennas and rabbit ears which do work if the signal is strong enough. Yes, many, but not all viewers have cable.

Back in the early 1980s, the signals from 19, 23, and 56 were Grade B at best at 30 feet with a high gain directional antenna, and even experimenting with a preamp. My experience is that if there was not a Grade A analog signal, reception of digital signals from the same general location and height will be intermittent at best.

14. Professor Longley says:

I forgot a couple of points.

A 1000 foot tower in Quanicassee does not have a clear line of sight into much of Genesee County. WEYI had to put up a nearly 1400 foot tower much closer to eliminate terrain shadows in Genesee County.

And although the Cities of Flint, Saginaw, Detroit may have lost nearly half their population, the counties and SMSAs around them have continued to grow, and the county populations as a whole including cities have not declined much if at all over the last several Census figures, except for Wayne.

Channel 28 does serve Detroit and Oakland County and Macomb County surprisingly well, due to a line of sight signal into many areas. That is not true of 14 or 19 or 23.

I do agree with you that we should not spend money unnecessarily, Dave, and that the government should be pulling in the reins on spending and should NOT be reaising taxes on an already economically strapped population. But this technical study does not reflect reality in my opinion, and in the opinion of many radio and TV engineers.

15. So, will WFUM remain independent, or will it simulcast with the existing network of stations headed at WCMU?

16. Dave Barber says:

GREAT news for CMU. Now they should cut a deal with Jon Bengston, long time TV25 Program Director and CMU alum to run the place! He’s worked w/ more inexperienced talent then anyone in the market. I do not mean that as a slam against WEYI on air talent. Hell, they even put me on TV25 once. What I mean is he has worked with broadcasters young in their careers, i.e. first or second job. He has seen up close and personal what colleges have been doing wrong.

I have worked with Jon and he is a first rate broadcaster. He has forgotten more about the TV business then most professors know.

Chips. . .hire Jon Bengston!!! 810.687.1000

17. Actually, it’s going to be mainly a satellite of WCMU-TV; however they need a call-sign change. Sadly, though, we are going to miss Flint-produced programming on Channel 28.

18. Reply to Professor Longly Grant
    As required by the FCC in any Construct Permit of any new Transmitter site. You have Calculated coverage Then once you are on the air a “Proof Of Performance” is required to verify calculated . Usually a Engineering Firm is contracted to do this . They use a Spectrum analyzer with a Log antenna mounted on a 5 ft to 6 ft tripod at ground level . readings are usually taken at 1 to 2 degree spacing around the antenna tower at multiple miles out from the site . Some engineering studies will back up the data with flight measurements also (airplanes ) when large bodies of water are involved .
    In your statement you mention TV 14 . TV 14 is not in that market but WTVS Detroit 56 is .

I am curious If the Board of WCMU was made aware there are continue cost to this station . Like about 8000 dollars per month for electricity 2000 dollars a month for tower maintenance and misc care. And oh yes the hook up fee to get the signal there which I think they say will cost 20,000 a year ( which I think is a very low estimate my guess around 28 000 thousand to 35,000) Again I will ask where does that money come from …….cannot take it from Programming pledges ! Your Tax dollars at work !
    Sadly WCMU will operator it as a Satellite . With no studios or staff and no local programming . By the way when has WCMU produced any local programming for distribution ? ….. At least TV 19 and TV 23 produce local programs that are released to the national and state network for other stations to use . Do we really want a State run Network monster like WCMU ? Who only cares about money …..and does little for local programs or special documentary’s ! At least the PBS stations who operate in the Flint market put something back into there communities !

19. Professor Longley says:

In reply to Dave.

The type of studies you describe are only required for directional AM stations, and AM stations who wish to demonstrate actual contours for the purpose of increasing power or changing directional antenna patterns. A directional FM or TV broadcasting antenna is designed and the pattern measured in a manner similar to what you describe, but there is no proof of performance required after installation.

Some TV stations do run tests as you describe, to try to find problem areas in their predicted service area, but they are not required. If such a test was done, not only on Channel 19, but Channel 23 and Channel 56, I would like to be directed to the results. Particularly at 5 or 6 feet abouve the ground, I doubt even more seriously that the signals from these would be 46 dBu except perhaps during a temperature inversion. Then, it would be for a few hours or a few days, and probably would not affect all three signals at the same time.

The contours you see online are predicted by FCC F(50,90) curves. Some use more complex prediction methods, but these are still not actual measurements and still may not accurately predict signal attenuation in various areas.

20. Response to Professor Longley Grant

Yes you are Correct the FCC web site is predicted coverage . But on this note or using your argument would you agree that it would be more efficient and less waste of tax payers money to use a low powered Digital translator to cover the City of Flint and also would it be in the best interest of PBS and licensee’s who overlap’s Flint to allow them to operate that Translator. Who could best service the Community of License ! Not someone who is located over 70 miles away and is not involved in the cultural events of that community !
    If WCMU is so concern about the PBS coverage of Flint May I ask what WCMU did to the POOR Folks in the Eastern U.P. when analog shut down ? Hmmmm. WCMU left them . Maybe could it be there was not enough revenue coming in ? Gave it up because maybe the Direct Satellite dishes already carry’s WCMU there and it was more cost efficient ….wow Tax dollars saved !
    Needless to say it is not a efficient use of PBS resources to operate a Full powered transmitter in Flint when other PBS stations overlap the market !

But Greed and Power are a great motivator !

21. Professor Longley says:

First of all, CMU didn’t have the idea to “leave the Eastern UP”. The technical realities and downside of the digital TV system did. Had Channel 6 been usable from a technical standpoint without electrical interference, WCML would have continued to serve the Eastern UP well. For those here who don’t know, digital is all or nothing, whereas analog allows watchable pictures with some “snow”. But with DTV, “snow” means NO USABLE SIGNAL.

While an low power translator might be appropriate for a small area within a few miles of the transmitter, Genesee County has about 650 square miles. Even a TV station near the geographical center of the county would have to get out 20-25 miles.

The Genesee County population OUTSIDE FLINT is stable to even growing. The total population including Flint is about 430,000 by even declining 2008 estimates. People always talk about Flint’s declining population, without pointing that out. Flint occupies but a little more than 5% of the area of Genesee County, and the population of the county has always had significant representation in far out suburbs and townships in addition to the townships adjacent to Flint. A translator or low power station is insufficient, even to cover the county.

Similar situations exist in some other cities in the state.

The location of Channel 28′s tower, dictated by FCC rules, means that it reaches much of Lapeer and Oakland County in addtion to Genesee. It is only about a mile into these adjacent counties, so service to some degree is inevitable.

I agree with you again, Dave, that there should be local Flint programming, especially considering that there are the digital subchannels. Personally, I thing some kind joint operating agreement should have been set up between U of M and CMU for those reasons, but U of M seems uninterested in running an over the air TV station for whatever reasons.

22. Just reading threw the above comments . I have to differ from the professors point of view. Here is my two cents on this . I live in Flint near Court and Averill. Live on a ground floor apartment . About nine months ago I purchased a LG 45 inch flat panel with a built in tuner . Using a powered Phillips rabbit ears . I can get the following PBS stations , Ch 19 signal level 79 , ch 28 signal level 81 and ch 56 signal level of 49 . Commercial stations I can get ch 12 at a signal of 45 , Ch 25 signal of 89 and channel 66 signal of 50, I do not watch 49 .
    In my bedroom I have my old Sony picture tube set with a Insignia coupon box (recommended by a engineer at Channel 5) I use a old channel master two bow-tie (cat whiskers) flat antenna hanging in the window. On Ch 19 I get a signal of 78 , CH 28 a signal of 75 , Channel 56 a signal of 35 (breaks up sometimes) and Ch 23 with a signal of 30 Breaks up every time a Amtrak Train comes by) Ch 25 a signal of 94 and Channel 66 a signal of 65. Occasionally at night I can get the Detroit stations .
    In the old analog days I had a noisy picture on 19 and a clear picture on 28 and a ok picture on 56 Ch 12 ,25 and 66 were all good and channel 10 would be watchable.

I use to donate twice a year to ch 28 ,50 dollars but when I heard they where shutting down I started to support ch 19 and ch 56 with 50 dollars each . I did receive a e-mail from ch 56 that stated they were going to increase power to better serve Flint and the nearby area. Ch 19 comes in very good and I do like there program on Tuesday night with Andy Rapp and I just love World View . I do enjoy Ch 56 for Red Green and the Friday business shows . I have been telling people about the World View programs that ch 19 carries . I do not see those programs any where else .
    Being that I can pick up both of these PBS stations the spinning off of ch 28 by U of M did not bother me .

My Parents who live in Lapeer have a small channel master UHF/VHF antenna laying in there attic. The antenna pointing south and they can get all the above stations including the Detroit commercial stations they now donate to ch 19 they like the World View programs. My Uncle who lives in Swartz Creek gets all the stations locally less ch 56 but he can get ch 23 very well. My uncle donates to ch 23 now.

As I see it I do not need ch 28 to receive my PBS programs and to be honest they can leave town for tossing in the towel . I will support ch 19 and ch 56 who seem to want to take care of the Flint area by investing in better equipment and improving there signal from the old analog days .

Sorry ch 28 four PBS stations in town is to many I cannot afford donating to you all.

Glen.

23. Professor Longley says:

Again, I have questions.

1)Date of these measurements.
    2)Time of Day of these measurements.

I suspect that this was during a temperature inversion. I have heard similar stories of one time events like this, but not consistent signals.

There are certain “hot spots” for certain signals. My experience is of signals as close as 15-20 miles away being unreceivable on indoor antennas and outdoor and attic antennas even with preamps.

24. Reply To professor Longley

I think Glen may have used the built in signal meter that is in the menu of the coupon box which is based on usable signal from 0 to 100 . The LG Box that I have is set up the same way . Most of the TV’s have built in meters but you need to dig for them in the menu’s.

I have a converter box set up at the Radio studios (Flint) with a channel master super v in the attic ( Smallest Channel master U/V ant available. I have steady usable signal ( No pixilation or blocking ) on the 19 /28/56/25/23/ 66/49/6/ 5/ I do pick up 7/4/ but they do break up a lot during the day and is better at night .

When Dealing with wireless reception there is always strong and week spots due to terrain and interference . just look at your cell phone for example. Temperature inversion are infrequent and more prevalent in spring and fall . I would think Glen is getting consistent reception based on his viewing habits of the programs he list.

Interesting I was not aware of the power increase for channel 56 . I did look at the FCC web site and sure enough there is a construction permit issued and a new coverage map (predicted).

Maybe before the Board of Central Michigan University authorized the million dollar expenditure . They should have had a independent Engineering study done to justify the money that will be spent . This way there would be no question who really is right or wrong or if the Chief Engineer and General Manager of WCMU really made a request to purchase on questionable data available to University Board to get them to react .

I would hope the Board did there research and did not solely rely on WCMU data or hype .

25. Professor Longley says:

Since all but a handful of area stations are really on UHF channels (WJBK on 7, WILX on 10, and WJRT on 12 are the only VHFs in the area), clear (or in the case of DTV signals at all) signals are mainly limited to the line of sight. Line of sight declines quickly after 35-40 miles due to the curvature of the earth, except in unususal terrain. The ridges along the rivers and streams in Genesee County that limit signals from Bay City and Lansing, and a 400-600 foot terrain shield (hills) stretching from near Brighton to near Almont, add to already existing problems for signals from Detroit. There are locations which are better, but many are no where near as clear as a multiple studio radio facility like next to I-75 near Hill Rd. or on Bristol Rd.

Computer programs are available that point out where these terrain problems exist, and Genesee County has many areas which are shadowed. If your are in a radio studio, chances are it is located where there is a better line of sight than the average location, and since they clear vegetation to achieve better 950 MHz STL paths, and other reasons. If it is at an AM transmitter site, it is usually a large field which is well maintained and kept free of excessive vegetation and tall trees.

The powers that be at U of M may believe that there will be no over the air facilities in a few years. However, achieving Wi-Fi type high speed internet TV delivery for virtually everyone now served by over the air radio and TV will tax the radio spectrum far beyond what over the air radio and TV facilities ever did. Hence this will system will break down and not be nearly as reliable as over the air.

For all those reasons, it is wise to have a full power over the air TV station in Genesee County as long as possible.

26. (Longley Quote) 1. “all but a handful of area stations are really on UHF channels (WJBK on 7, WILX on 10, and WJRT on 12 are the only VHFs in the area), clear (or in the case of DTV signals at all) signals are mainly limited to the line of sight. Line of sight declines quickly after 35-40 miles due to the curvature of the earth, except in unususal terrain. The ridges along the rivers and streams in Genesee County that limit signals from Bay City and Lansing, and a 400-600 foot terrain shield (hills) stretching from near Brighton to near Almont, add to already existing problems for signals from Detroit. There are locations which are better, but many are no where near as clear as a multiple studio radio facility like next to I-75 near Hill Rd. or on Bristol Rd.”

Daves Reply

Hill Rd and Bristol Rd Radio Facility’s are not located in the City of Flint . They are located out side of Flint and to the south. I think they call it Burton.
    The studio where I have my converter box according to terrain maps is 20 ft below average terrain I am inside the City limits of Flint.
    Yes the hill you are referencing is the Clarkston Ridge .
    1000 ft tower is higher then a 400 ft to 600 ft hill unless your are directly behind the hill in the shadow area .The shadow area decreases the farther away from the hill you get .
    There are no major hills between Quanicassee (Gilford) and Flint . Taking in the curvature of the earth you still have line of site with the 1000ft tower in Gilford

(Longley Quote) “Computer programs are available that point out where these terrain problems exist, and Genesee County has many areas which are shadowed. If your are in a radio studio, chances are it is located where there is a better line of sight than the average location, and since they clear vegetation to achieve better 950 MHz STL paths, and other reasons. If it is at an AM transmitter site, it is usually a large field which is well maintained and kept free of excessive vegetation and tall trees.”

Daves Reply
    As you have stated the Longley Rice computer program (Used by the FCC) is of no use according to your previous post’s for PREDICTING signal coverage or are you saying now that it is ?

Longley Qoute)“The powers that be at U of M may believe that there will be no over the air facilities in a few years. However, achieving Wi-Fi type high speed internet TV delivery for virtually everyone now served by over the air radio and TV will tax the radio spectrum far beyond what over the air radio and TV facilities ever did. Hence this will system will break down and not be nearly as reliable as over the air.”

Daves Reply
    This is deviating from the original argument of the need for 4 PBS Stations in one market . Please stay on the original subject.

(Longley Quote)
    “For all those reasons, it is wise to have a full power over the air TV station in Genesee County as long as possible.”

Daves reply
    DO so but not with my tax dollars ! But I see Bart Stupak (D) has now filled in the final puzzle piece by giving WCMU 750,000 dollars of agricultural dept. monies that are suppose to be used for finishing the Digital build out in rural Michigan . But will be used for a Mobil Truck In Flint and to help pay for WFUM TV 28 .
    How Disgusting , all under the tax payer’s noses and the tax payer’s are not seeing this . Flint over Farmers I guess . But then I cannot figure how this is going over when Genesee County is not in Bart Stupak’s (D) district or am I not suppose to see this slight of hand money shuffle.
    Professor Longley you seem to be trying to move off of the original statement I made way back . That was “ Was this a efficient use of PBS government Funds and a good use of tax dollars “ Will it hurt the other now Healthy PBS operations in the area ? who made investments to serve the public . Bottom line I see WCMU as a vampire who will suck the blood from the other PBS stations that are in the Flint Market . This is not healthy , it is not efficient, and it will hurt all of them !
    But then I guess that is how Evil Empire’s work . they divide and conquer and then swallow up . Then the public looses when one manager dictates to us all what we see.
    Good Day Professor Longley

27. Professor Longley says:

A 400-600 foot high ridge throws a very long shadow from Southfield. And if you plug in a 1000 foot tower from Quanicassee or Gilford into a terrain program, you’ll see the ridges and shadows I’m talking about. Even from the WEYI site, a 1000 foot tower has shadows in parts of Genesee County.

Another good comparison is that WHNN is in the same area as Channel 19, but even though 96.1 MHz propagates a lot better than UHF over hills, you surely get WCRZ and other local stations much better and in more adverse receiving environments in and near Flint in Genesee County.

I’m trying to find a completely rational reason for U of M pulling the plug, but I have not found one. It seems like an emotional rather than logical decision. I was probably concluding that you were defending U of M’s side in abandoning WFUM. I know they spent a lot of money on residence halls for the Flint campus, which seems dubious at best considering that much of the student body goes there to save money by living at home. If they REQUIRE that students live on campus, as many colleges do, I think they’ll lose 50% of their students. I’m not getting off topic so much as trying to find the real motive for shedding WFUM. The budget is only so big, so building residence halls and then selling WFUM seems like a poor choice. Call it off the specific subject, but again it’s part of the same budget.

Like I said before, some decision makers made the mistake of assuming that Flint could get by listening to out of market radio stations years ago and in was not a good decision.

28. Professor Longley says:

I missed some of you other points.

The FCC’s prediction of signals with the F(50,90) curves is a much simpler prediction method than Longley Rice. It only counts terrain from 2 to 10 miles from the transmitter site, and assumes that the terrain is quite flat. Longley Rice is an improvement over the F(50,90) curves, but still leaves something to be desired. There are several variables that can be changed, and those changes may or may not be appropriate in certain situations. Over the years, things like the presence of foliage and other vegetation have been added to prediction methods, but with deciduous trees, there is a considerable variation between winter and summer. So what I was implying is that Longley Rice is better than F(50,90), but not perfect, especially at street level prediction.

29. I agree with Professor Longley’s analysis of the WFUM purchase by CMU. The engineering aspects of his comments are correct and accurate. Some other commentators seem to have a hidden agenda and/or political motivation. The facts are U-M didn’t want TV 28. That was, in my view, more of a political decision than an economic one. WCMU is doing what it does best; it has a reliable network of stations that covers a good portion of Michigan. It airs programs that are locally produced and programs that are produced by other stations. If one of the other stations that have coverage in the Flint market wanted WFUM, they could have made an offer. The fact is they didn’t find a way to make it work. So those stations can keep on doing what they do best, and CMU can keep on doing what they do best. I think it is time to get the facts straight, and quit whining because MSU, Delta, or WTVS didn’t get WFUM or that U-M didn’t kill it.
    Come on, talk about a waste of money, let’s just shut it off! That would be a waste of taxpayer’s money. In this day and age, any real broadcaster should cringe whenever a transmitter goes dark, not complain that some other broadcaster saved the station.

30. Interesting thread. I wonder how U of M would treat an obstructionist who was standing between them and a million bucks? I wonder how anyone could justify reducing PTV service, when the infrastructure has already been built and paid-for by public tax money and donations? I wonder what kind of public service others are providing, when they complain that an existing PTV service should be shut-down so that they can have less competition? I wonder if they have any idea how bad they look to the average taxpayer?

31. Dear Bulwinkle
    With the mentality of the statement you made above . It is no wonder the Government is the number one employer these days !Keep it up but do not complain when you pay your Tax bill . When do we as Americans say ” Enough is enough ”
    By the way when you turn something “off” you save money .
    Now if TV 28 had been sold to a commercial station U of M could have made 7 million dollars according to Dr.Grants statement to M-Live news, Not 1 million. Hmmmmmm !
    “Obstructionist” Thank you for the compliment ……I am sure the Patriots 220 plus years ago were called that also by the British !

32. Professor Longley says:

WFUM cannot be sold to a commercial entity, unless the FCC changed a lot of rules. Channel 28 is designated for noncommercial use in Flint. The situation was different with WFBE, because 95.1 is not a reserved channel. 88.1-91.9 are reserved and designated for noncommercial educational use.

33. Reply to Prof Longley .
    There is no longer a designation of Non Com TV and Commercial TV License listings in a Market . This was tossed out some years back during the Bush administration. Any License can be sold for any purposes. . You may want to look over the original Digital transition dockets .(LOT OF READING) To allow non coms. and commercial stations to operate on other channels with there analog and digital stations the non com and commercial language was rewritten .This allowed crowded markets the ability to handle both during the transition . The rules for FM are different then the rules for TV ! Now the FCC may give preference to a non com if purchaseing a non com during the open comment period when a license is transferred.
    Hire a FCC lawyer if you can afford one (I cannot) and he or she will enlighten you !
    Dave

34. Reply to Dave:
    Dave says:
    October 27, 2009 at 8:26 pm
    Hmmmm Just started to think about this . How does a STATE run University come up with a Million dollars to fund this purchase . The STATE which is strapped for cash and cannot afford STATE Police or funding K thru 12 but A STATE run University can find 1 million dollars of STATE money to purchase this luxury item . I think the STATE needs to look at how they are funding WealthyCMU.

Dave, could it be Mott? I believe the station is located in the William S. White Bldg. I believe W.S.W. is the head of the Mott Foundation.
    I did structural design on the W.S.W. Bldg and the Mott Regional Tech. Center (Dale E. Kildee Bldg) (Dale E. Kildee’s brother recently toured the former East Germany to learn how they created jobs after the commie wall fell)

35. Professor Longley says:

The latest Table of Allotments that I can find online still shows an asterisk designation for all but a handful of noncommercial allotments. The ones that aren’t weren’t so designated even as analog channels. There are some cases where channels have been swapped, but there is still a noncommercial channel substituted for it. Some noncomms have sold or leased digital subchannels to the highest bidder, but it is still a matter of controversy and case law.

Since CMU and UM-Flint are both state run colleges, the amount may be more of an asset acquisition for CMU reflecting control of that asset more than a true market value of the property, which is still under state control one way or another.