Metro

Granholm: Bring Promise back with stipulations

The Michigan Promise scholarship could be restored as a $4,000 refundable tax credit if Gov. Jennifer Granholm’s proposal is approved.

But for students who lost the funding last fall during the state’s budget crisis, it could be too little too late.

The proposal was one of several the governor revealed Thursday among her 2011 executive budget recommendations.

Michigan residents would be eligible for the tax credit after completing a degree from an in-state institution and working for at least one year in Michigan after graduation.

“It sounds nice, but it’s hard to think of something five years from now,” Clare freshman Tiffany Wilson said. “But it’s good she’s trying to get it to us somehow.”

Wilson was eligible for the Michigan Promise scholarship before it was taken out of the budget in October. She said it was unfortunate students such as herself will now have to re-qualify for the new version of the program.

The tax credit is designed to keep graduates working in the state and to stimulate the economy. Samantha Garthe does not think the economy is diverse enough for the new tax credit to make the desired impact.

“I’m going into education, and there are no teaching jobs in Michigan,” the Lake Leelanau senior said, explaining that she doubts she will qualify for the credit.

Impacts on business

Granholm also proposed a number of measures to help businesses save money.

She proposed eliminating a 22 percent surcharge on the Michigan Business Tax, cutting it in half in 2011 and eliminating it by 2012.

Changes to the MBT will impact local businesses’ ability to stimulate the economy, said Gigi Zavaglia, owner of Tavola Gigi’s, 437 S. Mission St.

“I would think that anything that lowers the burden small businesses face is more money they can put back into their business and growing their business, and putting it back into the economy,” she said.

Granholm also proposed a decrease in the Michigan sales tax to 5.5 percent from 6 percent.

The decrease would be offset by increasing the number of services that can be taxed across the board, excluding health care and business-to-business activities.

“Sales tax on services will be interesting,” said Mount Pleasant Mayor Jim Holton, who owns Mountain Town Station 506 W. Broadway St., and the Mount Pleasant Brewing Company, 614 W. Pickard St.  “A 5.5 percent tax of services is a tax increase to a lot of people.”

Granholm proposed new taxes would be levied on physicians to help finance Medicaid and a $2.50 tax could fall on airport rental cars to stimulate the Pure Michigan tourism campaign.

According to a budget summary from the governor’s office, all spending reductions, tax restructures and other reforms would rid the state of a $1.5 billion shortfall in the next fiscal year. Granholm’s suggestions will be sent to the legislature.

1. This proposal does no good. Students need the money now to help offset the higher cost of education and the funding of CMU’s medical school.

2. Students need scholarships to help pay for college now. Every month it seems like I hear classmate say his parent was laid off. Stipulating that students graduate from a Michigan University, and work in a jobless state for one year, is ridiculous. Politicians should remember just as the Michigan “Promise” isn’t required, neither must future grads make their homes or spend their money here.

3. get a student loan like the rest of us did back in the day. I am sick of kids complaining about this scholarship. Why should I have to pay back my student loan as well as pay taxes to give others a scholarship? If your parents can afford for you to go to college I dont want you complaining you need this money.

4. Sorry Mike college doesn’t cost $1,000 a semester, like when you went to school.

5. Sorry Mike college doesn’t cost $1,000 a semester, like when you went to school. You would probably be mad too, if someone took away $4000 that was promised to you. Plus it is nearly impossible for a student to get a private loan these days.

6. 7 years ago DUSTY, I shouldn’t have to pay for other kids to go to school, I am already saving for my kids. Maybe mom and dad should have saved a little more.. We need to stop creating new ways to spend and tax those of us who still have jobs.

7. @mike

Not everyone’s parents have the extra money or the credit to help send their kids to college. You know what my parents told me when I was growing up? “Get good grades so you can get lots of scholarships and go to college, because we can’t afford to pay for it.”

You’re pretty much saying that, though I deserve to go to college, I shouldn’t be able to because I’m relying on scholarships to pay for it, instead of using money my parents should have been saving up or loans they should have taken out. That’s just not an option for every family, especially these days.

Just because YOU had to take out a loan doesn’t mean everyone else should have to. And besides, most people still DO take out loans. The scholarships and other various forms of financial aid simply help offset the amount, especially for those of us where a loan may not even be an option.