BLOG: New comments interface aims to enhance the conversation
If you’ve been paying attention, you will notice we have a new comments system on the Central Michigan Life Web site.
We’ve installed Disqus into our site to introduce discussion through a variety of platforms, encourage a consistent identity from those who comment and to better moderate the comments submitted. You can find it under each story and blog post, including this one.
My favorite feature of the new system is the ability to log in using your Facebook or Twitter account. By clicking Facebook Connect or the Twitter icon, you can link your account to your identity on the CM Life site, including your avatar (your profile picture). You also can use your Yahoo! account to log in.
This allows for you to put a face to your comments and for you to easily “build a profile,” so to speak, on the Web site. If you have Facebook or Twitter, all you have to do is log in (don’t worry — only your name and avatar are visible if you wish to keep your profile private).
Using a consistent identity also lets you view comments you’ve previously made. While those who wish to continue using a screen name can do so, we hope this encourages as many readers as possible to use an authentic or consistent identity when commenting. We’d rather see a healthy conversation on our site than a comments section littered with attacks from unknown sources.
Other things you can do with the Disqus system:
- Share your comment on Facebook or Twitter.
- Subscribe to the comments section of a post by e-mail or RSS.
- View others’ profile and comment history.
- Flag comments you might find offensive/distasteful/unrelated to discussion.
Don’t stop there
One goal for Central Michigan Life is to keep people talking about issues that matter most to them.
One thing our Web site can do that our print edition cannot is get readers involved in the conversation. One way to do that is through reader comments. We also offer Facebook and Twitter for you to connect to us. We know we aren’t the only eyes and ears of Central Michigan University and the Mount Pleasant community — we want you to be involved and for you to tell us what news matters to you.
Be sure to let us know how else we can improve your experience on cm-life.com and on our social media platforms!
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : What is the standing cement block structure going to be for?…
- 5k: Solved the case!! …
- : SOLVED THE CASE …
- chipskeptic: It is always interesting to see the virulent reaction of any…
- bridesmaids: Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chanc…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here