Mount Pleasant Summerfest starts today in Island Park
The summer solstice may have recently passed, but the season is just getting under way for the City of Mount Pleasant.
The 26th annual Summerfest put on by the city’s board of directors, begins today in Island Park.
Judy Freeze, director of the children’s village, said the event is run completely by volunteers and is entirely non-profit.
“We want to provide different activities and services for the community,” Freeze said. “We want to be involved with the community and give back.”
The board has brought in a variety of events and activities for this year’s Summerfest. Freeze said there will be events for everyone to partake in.
Mayor Jim Holton said he is excited for Summerfest to start.
“Summerfest is just a fun event,” Holton said. “There is so much to do and see. The board of directors has really done a good job of putting everything together. I’m going to bring my 4-year-old kid to the carnival.”
A children’s area with games and crafts will be available all weekend, Freeze said. There will also be a carnival for the whole family and live music and entertainment tents for adults.
“We’ve got quite a few different events and activities,” Freeze said.
Summerfest will also include a co-ed softball tournament on Saturday and Sunday.
The Saginaw and Chippewa Indian tribes will put on a cultural display Wednesday through Saturday.
The Great Lakes Timber Show will hold demonstrations and log rolling competitions from Thursday to Sunday.
Freeze said a fireworks display will be held Friday and Saturday night.
Kevin Chamberlain and the Greez Monkeez will perform at 8:30 p.m. Friday. There is a $3 cover charge and only adults aged 21 years old and up are permitted.
The board of directors works to bring in something different each year, Holton said.
“Summerfest has been going on for many years, even since I was in college, and every year there is something new and fun,” Holton said. “June is a slow month around here, so Summerfest is a great thing to have to get people out of their houses and involved. It’s a great community event.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here