Club hockey set to host Missouri, Missouri State this weekend
After opening the new season with two overwhelming losses against Davenport University, the Central Michigan club hockey team is stepping on the ice with something to prove this weekend.
Something to prove to themselves, the university and, their opponent, the University of Missouri.
CMU hosts Missouri on Friday and Saturday before playing Missouri State Sunday at the Mount Pleasant Ice Arena.
This weekend begins the Chippewas’ Division II Central Regional play, and head coach Mike Willetter said it’s crucial for the team to perform at a high level.
“This weekend’s games are going to be a good measuring stick for where are teams at and how the rest of the seasons going to go,” Willette said.
Missouri won its first two games against the University of Iowa last weekend and is looking to continue the winning streak in Mount Pleasant.
Even after losing 10-1 and 10-0 to Davenport last weekend, hopes are high for CMU and the team is carrying a lot of confidence into this weekend’s games.
“We all expect to win all three games this weekend,” said senior captain Jordan Jakubick. “You’re going to see a competitive team on the ice playing a better brand of hockey.”
Meanwhile, CMU’s goalie situation still has not been solved for the upcoming games. Freshman Brandon Allor has started the past two games and has a slight advantage over freshman Matthew Darr and sophomore Zach Silver in the competition, but the position is still up for grabs.
“This weekend is for the goalies to prove themselves to start and back up in the three games,” Willette said. “For right now, it’s goalie by committee.”
For fans that come out to support the CMU club hockey team this weekend, a series of contests are set up at every game. Friday night, between periods, fans can compete in chuck-a-puck, a game where who ever is closest to the center of the center ice circle gets a free T-shirt.
A 50/50 raffle will take place on Saturday and on Sunday the team is holding a shoot off between periods where contestants who score the most goals from the blue line win a free T-shirt.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here