Halloween ‘Horror’ entertains at Broadway Theatre over weekend
Costumes filled the Broadway Theatre Saturday as the midnight hour quickly approached.
From the scantly-clad to the obscure, the crowd jostled and chatted in their seats before the opening of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
“It’s always a great time,” Aimee Wilson said. “This is the second year in a row I’ve brought my roommate here to experience this.”
Wilson and her roommate, Tressa Van Ark, both traveled from Saginaw Valley State University to see the Rocky Horror production Halloween weekend.
“(SVSU) started showing the movie at midnight last year,” Wilson said. “But I knew coming to Mount Pleasant would be the right decision.”
As the sound track played in the background, the two occasionally busted into song, “Let’s do the Time Warp again!” while watching the many costumes around them.
“Wow there’s a unicorn over there,” Van Ark said.
Many scantily clad dressed women and men took pictures in the aisles of the old theatre, 217 E. Broadway St., as they waited for the film to start.
The lights dimmed and a brief moment of excitement erupted. A few minutes later a spot light was shone on the wall and the audience cheered loudly. Katy Perry and Lady Gaga impersonators took the stage, starting the show with costume contests.
“The Fifth Element” won sexiest female and “Creepy Janitor” Isaac Bannasch won sexiest male.
The Highland junior said the costume, was sitting in his car when he got to the theatre.
His winning tactics, unzipping his janitorial costume, were rewarded with screams from the crowd.
“It was a last minute thing, I surveyed the audience and decided that they wouldn’t be too offended,” he said.
Bannasch played Rocky Friday night in the production.
“I come here a lot” he said.
Creative costumes ranged from the Spice Girls to the cast of Scott Pilgrim. The couple whose costume was modeled after Wall-E and Eve won the most creative costume.
“We’ve been planning this since September,” said Howell junior Katie Mikula, who played Eve.
Wall-e, Isaac Wineman prepared a soundtrack to be played on-stage during the contest.
At last, the Rocky Horror virgins pledged their allegiance to the lips and the movie began.
“It was really great this year, but not quite as out of control as last year,” Van Ark said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here