Climb for a Can collects non-perishable goods for Mount Pleasant Mobile Food Pantry, Salvation Army
Mount Pleasant community food stores climbed higher thanks to the National Outdoor Leadership School’s “Climb for a Can” event.
NOLS brought its third annual Leadership Week Celebration to Central Michigan University’s Adventure Center Saturday at Finch Fieldhouse, hosting indoor wall-climbing for the cost of one non-perishable food item.
“Our main focus of the week this year is community service and food shortage is one of the areas of biggest need,” said NOLS Leadership Week liaison Michael Trewartha. “It is about bringing the CMU community together with the outside community in more ways than one.”
The Caspian senior said the donations were given to Mount Pleasant’s Mobile Food Pantry and then distributed to the Salvation Army and food banks around town.
NOLS alumnus and Farmington Hills senior Scott Lowen said all ages and climbing abilities were welcomed to the event.
“It is a good chance for people to come out, climb and have fun,” Lowen said.
After signing a safety waiver, NOLS volunteers and employees helped eager participants take the ropes.
“My girlfriend loves to climb, so I came out with her after I heard about it from an announcement in lecture,” Ravenna junior Nicholas Smith said. “As a college I think it’s good we can help out and donate to the Mount Pleasant community.”
Local residents also came out to support the cause.
Mount Pleasant resident LeAnn Yates brought her 4-year-old daughter Clara and cans of beans and tomatoes for a day of indoor climbing.
“At first she was hesitant, then she started climbing up the wall and I can tell she was having fun,“ Yates said. “It’s nice to be supporting the community while watching my daughter doing something she loves.”
To help achieve the NOLS mission, food donation boxes were also distributed in the academic halls all week where students could make contributions.
Trewartha said Climb for a Can collected more than 100 canned goods after the three hour session.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here