Annual Memorial Day Parade parade to showcase local patriotism Monday
You cannot see it, but it will still be there.
Mount Pleasant residents will show their patriotism at 10 a.m. Monday as the Veterans of Foreign Wars Michigan Post 3033 hosts its annual Memorial Day Parade.
The parade will begin at the corner of Kinney Avenue and Broadway Street in downtown Mount Pleasant and end at Riverside Cemetery, 714 W. Broadway Street, to honor its fallen veterans.
Mount Pleasant VFW Director Terry Inosencio said the parade will feature VFW Post 3033, Bounty 110, the American Legion, the Mount Pleasant High School Marching Band and any business that would like to advertise.
“It’s important to honor veterans at any time, not just on Memorial Day,” Inosencio said. “But this allows us to show people what Memorial Day is really about.”
The parade is one of multiple activities that will be offered for all ages in the community.
Saginaw sophomore Caleb Yanez plans to spend his Memorial Day preparing for the summer.
“I’ve had an uncle and a grandparent who served in the service,” he said. “It’s something my family definitely cares about.”
He said he will go see “The Hangover Part II,” and go tubing if the weather permits. Yanez said that though he plans to partake in traditional summer fun on the holiday, his mother has always worked hard to impress on him the importance of Memorial Day.
Karen Hutslar, Mount Pleasant resident and CMU registrar, said she will spend her weekend in Detroit with her family.
“My father was in the military as well as others I have known, so I think it is important to memorialize what they have done for our country,” Hutslar said. “As well as remembering everyone we have lost that may not have even been a veteran.”
After the parade, VFW post 3033 will host a luncheon at its headquarters, 4841 E. Pickard St.
“It is important that we remember that our freedom is not free, that is why we honor our veterans on this holiday,” Inosencio said.
Staff Reporter Andrew Dooley contributed to this report.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here