Columns

COLUMN: Both Democrats, Republicans guilty of being uncivil

Editor’s note: Nathan Inks is the current president of College Republicans.

Over the past year, President Obama and many Democrats have advocated toning down the “toxic rhetoric” that has infiltrated our political arena.

Civility is key to actually getting things done for Americas so that we can bring our economy back to life and create jobs for Americans.

Much of this rhetoric has been blamed on the Tea Party and conservatives, but both sides are guilty of acting uncivil.

On Monday, James Hoffa was speaking before workers in preparation for President Obama’s Labor Day speech, and he spoke of a war between the workers of America and the Tea Party. He stressed the importance of voting and that the workers would be President Obama’s army. He ended his speech by saying, “Let’s take these son of a bitches [sic] out and give America back to America where we belong.”

The White House did not denounce the remarks but did make it clear that Hoffa did not speak for the President. However, Hoffa stood by his remarks after criticism from some in the media.

Hoffa took it too far with his closing statement and it was even more inappropriate in a speech leading up to remarks from the President.

When conservatives brought up the incivility of Hoffa’s statement, many on the left immediately responded with, “Well the Tea Partiers say uncivil things too!”

That’s not the point. Continuing to excuse remarks based on opponents’ past remarks is unacceptable and leads us into a spiral where neither side admits wrong doing.

Another recent example of uncivility is the Tea Party Zombies Must Die video game, in which players must kill zombie versions of conservative political leaders and media personalities. Such games are tasteless, and do nothing productive for the American political process.

Instead of taking sound clips from the other side and trying to gain political points, both sides need to denounce hateful speech when it happens.

These phrases will remain a part of American politics for years to come, and are harmless, but it is unacceptable when someone from any political background acts in a way that lowers the quality of political discourse.

Whether the Democrats or the Republicans started it first does not matter. It is time to take the high road, stop worrying about the past and look forward to the future, setting a good example for generations to come.

1. mediacriticpa says:

The Democrats and the socialists will never take the high road.

Joe Biden blasted the Tea Party with hate and vile speech.
    Maxine Waters, black Congresswomen from LA, said last week that the Tea Party can go to Hell.
    Andre Carson, black congressman from Indianapolis, hurled hate speech at the Tea Party.
    I can go on and on.  It’s the Left who doesn’t want to act civil.  And, it’s going to get worse.  Obama’s poll numbers are sinking fast.  Yesterday, a Republican in New York City won the special election (replacing disgraced left-wing Congressman Anthony Weiner who had to quit for lewd behavior).  First time since 1923 the voters there voted in a Republican.  And, they didn’t mind that Bob Turner who won gave Rush Limbaugh his first TV show.  The Democrats are going to lose big in 2012 so they will play dirty and take the low road.

Rush was right what he said today.  Republicans need to do what the majority of American people want done in Washington, not Democrats and the unions and all their special interest lobbies like the environmentalist wackos, etc. 

2. Ben Steiner Brothers says:

“COLUMN: Both CM-Life, Michmeatpuppet guilty of being uncivil”

Fixed that title for you.

3. The tea party and the GOP had better take notice: we don’t like you and we will do whatever it takes to derail you short of violence. This game just demonstrates the hatred we feel towards the GOP and the tea party.The GOP and the tea party are working in unison to roll back and destroy all the societal gains and scientific discoveries that were made during the 20th century. Our goal is to stop them dead in their tracks.  Mark Montgomery  NYC, NY  boboberg@nyc.rr.com

• Michmediaperson says:

So, you want to keep a record number of Americans, including a record number of blacks, hispanics and children in poverty.  The GOP and the Tea Party don’t want poverty.  We want to have everyone working so there is no poverty.  Obama wants poverty, we want prosperity for all Americans!!

Societal gains?  Record levels of poverty is societal gains?

4. And all of that was deserved.

5. This is all crap.

A vast vast majority of politicians care not for you.
    They care about their own power. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.

It is real cute you think their attempts to play buddy-buddy with you and get under your skin are genuine.

Makes me sick