HATS Tails to Trails event fundraises for animal shelter operations
Isabella County’s Humane Animal Treatment Society met its goal by raising an estimated $10,000 at the 12th Annual Tails to Trails event Sunday.
The fundraiser is held to help raise money for the animal shelter’s operations.
“The event started 12 years ago as a run, not a walk,” said Executive Director of HATS, Jill Irving. “We have slowly incorporated the walk.”
For the walk portion of the event, about 40 people participated. Those who attended were able to bring their own dogs to run or walk or could take a dog from the shelter.
Mount Pleasant resident Minde Lux attended this year’s walk with her dog, Izzy. Although she did not get Izzy from the shelter, she decided to participate after being told about the event by a friend.
“It’s a great opportunity to help the shelter,” Lux said. “This event is important, because it is a great way for the community to come together and raise a lot of money for our local shelter to assist in the needs of the dogs and cats.”
After receiving a phone call about the event at 11 a.m. Sunday morning, Daisy Hilyard traveled an hour from Lake George to attend, bringing her golden retriever named Lucky Samabo.
“I live in the country where Lucky Samabo doesn’t get much interaction with other dogs,” Hilyard said. “I wanted to get her out here with other animals.”
Hilyard said Lucky Samabo got her name for a good reason and is a very special dog.
“She was not alive when she was born but was resuscitated back to life, and was the only survivor of her litter,” Hilyard said.
She was given the middle name Samabo after Hilyard’s mother.
Anyone interested in helping raise money for the shelter can attend next year’s Tails to Trails event or sponsor a pet at the shelter for $20.
“We encourage people to come to the shelter,” Irving said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here