Maxwell leading the CMU volleyball team in assists
The Central Michigan volleyball team is starting to hit its stride despite some injuries going into Mid-American Conference play.
The Chippewas (7-4) are above .500 for the first time this season after the last tournament championship at Marshall.
A main reason for that is the play from sophomore setter Kelly Maxwell.
The Okemos native recorded at least 27 assists in every match she has played in since the Chippewas played Marquette on Aug. 27. She has averaged 35.5 assists a game, since then.
“My setting coach (Beeckman) has helped me through a lot and our senior setter Catherine Ludwig always helps me on the bench and helps me make great choices,” Maxwell said.
Maxwell only played in three of the five games in the season opener against Iowa, where she was able to record 30 assists in that match.
Against Marquette the next day, she only recorded six and played in two of the three games in the loss.
She then helped the team record what was probably the biggest win during this non-conference part of the season against St. Louis. In the sweep, Maxwell had 33 assists and 12 digs.
She did not play in the loss against Oakland University, but came in against Wright State and had 32 assists and she has played in every game since.
She set a career-high 41 assists against Austin Peay last weekend, only to top that mark twice this week. She broke her career high with 47 Friday night against George Mason and topped her previous mark Saturday morning against East Carolina.
“Maxwell has gotten better every weekend and has become consistent and she is starting to become the reason why we’re successful,” Olson said. “The setter is the center of our team.”
Last season, Maxwell’s assist high was 17 against Ball State. She has already doubled that mark four times this season.
Coming into this weekend, Maxwell ranked No. 146 in the nation at assists per set (9.27) and now has 320 assists on the season.
Maxwell received her first ever All-Tournament team award for her 116 assists at the Marshall Tournament. She now has upped her assist per set average from 9.27 to 9.70, moving her up to No. 118 in the nation in that category.
Maxwell and the Chippewas start MAC play on Friday against MAC West favorite Northern Illinois. Following NIU, they play Saturday in Kalamazoo against Western Michigan.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here