Politics / Top Stories

Michigan’s new law requires beer keg identification tags

Beer kegs will be sold with identification tags to be able to verify who purchased the keg beginning Nov. 1.

The new Michigan law will require buyers to sign a receipt with their name, address, telephone number and driver’s license or state identification card number.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said the law will allow police to easily be able to identify who purchased the keg at a busted party.

“Right now, when we go to parties without tags on the kegs, no one knows where it came from,” he said. “Now this way we’ll know who is responsible for it.”

He said if nothing else, it will make the purchaser more responsible if they are serving to minors.

“Those who are caught serving to minors will get a ticket for a misdemeanor,” he said.

A $30 keg deposit will not be returned if the tag is unattached upon returning. Removing the tag is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.

Ken Los, co-owner of Bottle and Barrel, 1635 E. Broomfield St., Triple Deuce Party Store, LLC, 222 S. Washington St., and Pickard Party Store, 5114 E. Pickard St., said the new law will greatly affect his businesses.

“We’re expecting more than 75 percent of keg sales to go down,” he said. “We’ll begin taking orders for people who want them and carry less inventory.”

Los consequently expects package beer sales to increase.

“People will not be happy with the $30 deposit and there won’t be as many keg parties anymore,” he said.

The Pickard Party Store sells around 45 to 50 kegs a month, mostly to senior students, Los said.

“We expect only bigger parties like wedding receptions to be the only thing people will get kegs for,” he said. “As a college town, we are going to try to find the best way to serve our students.”

A Canton junior who wishes to remain anonymous said he thinks students should change the way they drink since it is just another way to get college kids in trouble.

“Stop buying kegs and start buying cases of beer,” he said. “It may not taste as good, but whoever puts their information on that keg will be going to jail whenever the police bust a party.”

1. Ron Swanson says:

Mount Pleasant police? Sounds more like Nazi Gestapo… first dispensaries then keg beer, soon we’ll need a background check to buy fast food. 

2. Ron Swanson says:

• Michmediaperson says:

We don’t need more drunks on the highway killing people.

This is a good law.

Kegs get people too drunk and then they’re out on the roads.

We need fewer drunk drivers!

I wouldn’t make it just a misdeameanor.  Make it a felony.

Then, they’ll think twice!

Tired of seeing so many people dying in drunk driving accidents.

Even the Democrats voted for this!  Finally, they did something right down in Lansing!

• Ben Steiner Brothers says:

“I wouldn’t make it just a misdeameanor.”

All you would do is make a terrible post about it.

• However kegs do not contain any more alcohol then package beer. So therefore there will be just as many drunks on the road.

• TeaPartywasaFelony says:

I love how you, the tea-party “less government influence” type reject, is in support of yet MORE government regulation….way to stand up for your own principles.  idiot.

• Michmediaperson says:

Good point!

You do need government regulation to keep people from dying.

For example, drunks on the highway with strong DUI laws.  Jail time, etc.
          Strong security at airports to keep the muslim terrorists off the planes.

What we don’t need is the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) stopping building construction of some stupid spotted owl.   Or, an oil pipeline hurting a panda bear in Alaska.

There are some safety issues for humans that we need police, fire, security for.

• TeaPartywasaFelony says:

• Umm did you fall down the rabbit hole or something? You really think this law is going to stop drunks? People have keg parties more for the novelty of having a “kegger” now that they don’t have to do that anymore there will be more drunks roaming the streets because they didn’t have to wait 20min to get a half foam / half beer red cup and they’ll be actually drinking canned beer. Come on get out of the fantasy world you live in and bother people who actually cause problems. Oh and it’s irrelevant who voted on this what does that matter? I hope you don’t come to my kegger…eh I mean case-o-beer party. 

• Michmediaperson says:

This is a good law.

We need fewer drunk drivers!

Then, they’ll think twice!

• Hmmm…Buying fast food is legal for people of all ages, consuming alcohol is not.

• I agree.  This won’t do anything except decrease keg beer sales and up the sales on other forms of alcohol that don’t require an ID tag… unless they start requiring it for all alcohol sales.

3. Prohibition lives…

4. Irishlawyer says:

And the police state is alive and well.  The tyrants who support this law should all move to China, Iran, the former USSR, or various other dictatorships throughout the world.  Quit hiding your totalitarianism behind your nationalism disguised as patriotism.  Evil turds!

5. Michmediaperson says:

Beer tastes far better from a keg than a can or bottle.

The difference is now, we will know where the drinkers, especially underage drinkers, got drunk from.

By the way, did a little research, a majority of House Republicans in Lansing voted against this.

It passed by an overwhelming support from left-wing Democrats.  It appears it was signed into law by Jennifer Granholm.

So, for you Liberals, you can thank your liberal friends in Lansing for this new law!!!!!

For the first time since Satan invented liberalism thousands of years ago, you libs finally did something right!!!

• “Beer tastes far better from a keg than a can or bottle.”  I’m glad that you are voicing your opinion about this… I prefer beer from a bottle myself.

• Ha..MICHmedia..prob cuz lots of those Republican duplicates drink more than us sensible, liberal/middleofthe road people..We know mom and dad won’t buy us out of jail so we have the “common sense” to avoid keggers.  Their lil Repub robot get in trouble??  If you don’t believe me than u never went to college…
      May God give us total democracy in our future…This state is going to the dumps from SNYDER..he has done zip to help, just like all the republicans I work for,,they don’t do s..t for us at work..they took that 86% tax decrease and bought condos in Florida ..went to Ireland and hired zero staff.  Am constantly reporting this to the slumlord in lansing.

FIRE UP CHIPS!!! can’t wait for homecoming..

6. Does anyone here have a clue how much money the beer makers lose in kegs that are stolen or never returned to be sold for their scrap value? Those things cost upwards of 300 dollars. The owner of Tri City Brewing in Bay City tells me he loses 4 to 6 a month. This law will help track down those “lost” kegs.

• Not when people remove the tags and sell the kegs for metal scrap.

• kegs have had a $30 deposit on them and enforced for 10+ years..  there simply stating that u void your $30 deposit if the keg comes back without the sticker.. and the deposit went on the keg to stop scrapping them.. back in the 80′s scrap yards caught scrapping kegs can be sued buy the beer companies that catch them.. dont comment unless you know..

..liquor store owner for 25 years in west michingan..

7. lol guess college kids will be making huge batches of jungle juice from now on and charging for cups of that, like they already do. high fives all around, great job.

8. Not sure what the big deal is.  The do it in california.  Its an easy enough thing to do.

9. I’m an Of age Keg Consumer 43 years old and I have a Kegarator in my House , No beer cans to take back , I am upset that my Consitutional Rights will be Violated , and this Tag ? I have an unlisted phone #  why would I want my Personal Info given out ? This is just a Ploy to make more Money off of something we all did when we were growing up and that my Friends is a Kegger in the Back 40 . What a waste of Tax Payers Monies and yet another way the Police can arrest you …

10. what all the fuss about? If your under 21 i can see the why you wouldn’t like the new law, but again you shouldn’t be drinking anyway. The price of a keg hasnt changed and there always was a deposit on kegs. Im not a libral by any means but i don’t see any thing wrong with this law.