Delta Chi to hold Car Smash at tailgate Saturday, raise money for charity
CMU students used to destroy cars on Homecoming weekend because of drunken rage. Now they are doing it for charity.
The Delta Chi fraternity is hosting the first Car Smash Saturday, where students will have the opportunity to release stress and inner frustrations by smashing a car with a sledgehammer in Lot 63.
It will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students will first be able to spray paint the car from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., then at 12:30 p.m. the car smashing will begin.
Delta Chi started the Car Smash to support the football team at tailgate and raise money for charity.
“We created this event to not only help out Jimmy V Foundation, but also to support the Central Michigan University football team,” said Zachary Ernat, Westland sophomore and Delta Chi philanthropy chairman. “We want to boost the morale on campus, so we are hoping lots of people participate and have a good time.”
The V Foundation supports cancer research. It was founded in 1993 by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano, a North Carolina State University basketball coach who died of cancer.
“It is a fun and unique way to donate to a good cause,” said Connor Gallagher, Warren senior and president of Delta Chi. “Any dollar is good, if you donate one dollar that would be good for cancer research, anything helps.”
Delta Chi came up with the idea for the car smash with the help of an alumnus, who donated the car for the event.
It will cost students $2 to spray paint the car. As for the Car Smash, $1 will be for one swing, $2 for a “strike out,” which is three swings, and $3 for a “grand slam,” which will be five swings. All proceeds will go to The V Foundation.
“It will be fun because it is for Homecoming and everyone is riled up already,” said Anthony Lazzaro, Hope sophomore and recruitment chairman for Delta Chi. “They get to forget about class and smash a car. Not too many kids have smashed a car with sledgehammer and not gotten in trouble because of it.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here