Michigan to pay CMU $850,000 for 2013 game
The University of Michigan will pay Central Michigan University $850,000 to come to Ann Arbor to play football on Aug. 31, 2013.
The contract states CMU will also be given 450 tickets to the game, according to information Central Michigan Life gathered from filing a Freedom of Information Act.
This was the second non-conference game scheduled for 2013. CMU is also traveling to North Carolina State two weeks after going to U-M.
The Chippewas will make $250,000 from that game. The total is low because the N.C. State Wolfpack is coming to Kelly/Shorts Stadium in 2014.
• Georgia: $875,000 in 2008
• Kentucky: $450,000 in 2011
• MSU: $500,000 in 2011 and 2018
• N.C. State: $450,000 in 2011
• Michigan: $850,000 in 2013
• N.C. State: $250,000 in 2013
• Clemson: $500,000 in 2014
CMU Athletic Director Dave Heeke said traveling to Georgia in 2008 was the biggest contract, where the Chippewas made $875,000. This would be the second-highest compensation, but the net gain might be greater by not having to travel and stay in Georgia.
The Chippewas are 0-3 against U-M. The last time CMU played at Michigan Stadium was in 2006 and the Chippewas lost 41-17. This was when U-M was ranked 10th in the country.
The $850,000 is considerably larger than the $500,000 Michigan State University paid CMU to come this fall.
“Large schools are able to pay more out,” Heeke said in a previous interview. “Michigan will make $5 million on an average football Saturday. That’s why they’re able to pay visiting teams that they’re favored to win. The more competitive the game, the lower the price.”
Heeke also said on the best day; CMU will make $300,000 on a home game. The 450 tickets is more than the 400 tickets MSU gave, but the Spartans gave CMU the option of purchasing another 5,000.
U-M will have until Feb. 1, 2014 to pay CMU.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
- : What is the standing cement block structure going to be for?…
- 5k: Solved the case!! …
- : SOLVED THE CASE …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here