Budget / College of Medicine

Provost says CMU has ‘ample resources’ to fund CMED, during A-Senate

Provost Gary Shapiro told the Academic Senate Tuesday Central Michigan University has “ample resources to fund the College of Medicine.”

“CMED began funding in the 2008 school year,” Shapiro said. “Since then, we’ve funded approximately $5 million each year. We won’t be using any undergraduate tuition to pay for anything. The university has ample resources to fund the College of Medicine.”

A new online program and Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine were among topics discussed at the Academic Senate meeting on Tuesday.

Ernest Yoder, CMED Dean, presented A-senate with a Powerpoint about CMU’s educational resources for the new college. Also, a nutrition and dietetics online graduate certificate was approved as part of the curriculum.

Yoder said educational resources include support from the university, general facilities, clinical resources and clinical teaching.

“As far as support from the university, collaborations with all six other colleges varies from sharing a building to sharing faculty,” Yoder said.

Yoder said CMED has worked out agreements with medical facilities in Midland, Alpena, Gladwin and Saginaw to use facilities for clinical studies.

“Local volunteer physicians will take students for clinical practice,” said Yoder. “Clerkships and elective opportunities are being worked out as well.”

The budget was revealed and Yoder explained CMED’s projected earnings.

“We project in 2014 to 2015 that we will run a deficit of approximately $5 million. However, from 2016 to 2018, we project a growing net revenue that will allow us to mine resources back into the curriculum and net revenue,” Yoder said.

Senator David Smith, professor of philosophy and religion,  asked how CMED would handle the budget if their projected earnings fell short.

“I just want to assure that if CMED has shortcomings, the money to make up for it will not come out of money that could be used elsewhere in the university,” he said.

Yoder said that will should not be a concern, as CMED has been “aggressive in estimating expenses and conservative in estimating revenue.”

1. Sure, they have ample funds. Funds raised by robbing the faculty of cost of living adjustments. Shapiro and Ross were targets of a successful Vote of No Confidence for a reason. Gee, I wonder where the money from raising tuition and breaking the CMU Promise went? 

• Michmediaperson says:

Jen, that’s NOT the faculty’s piggy bank!!!

No union person at CMU or any university in Michigan is entitled to “cost of living adjustments” when the union’s subsidized Governor Jennifer Granholm threw 800,000 people out of work because of her radical socialism policies while Republicans in states like Texas were adding 800,000 jobs!

The unions at CMU are out of touch with reality.  People in Michigan are hurting.  People across the country are hurting because of Barack Hussein Obama failed Marxist economic policies.  Your unions supported him in 2008 and will again in 2012.

“AMPLE FUNDS.”  The ample funds should be returned to the students and to the taxpayers of Michigan in the form of rebates.  Students and taxpayers were “overbilled.”

It’s NOT the faculty’s money!  It’s also not Shapiro and George’s money either.

Where did the tuition and CMU Promise monies go???  Ask Mike Rao.  While Rao was here, faculty didn’t say one word.

A few of us who comment on the news along with CM LIFE were the only ones asking questions.  We never got any support from the unions.

The state has three great medical schools—MSU, UM and Wayne State.

Western, Oakland and CMU have no business being in the medical school business.

• Is this guy even capable of forming an argument without relying on cherry picked language and rhetoric? I mean, for Christ’s sake, even CMU teaches how to analyze rhetoric in English 101.

Let’s just make this easier for him:Radical socialist faculty piggy bank throws 800,000 people out of work because failed Marxist, Barack Hussein, overbills taxpayers. 
        At least this post has something I can agree with; that CMU is doing its students a disservice with this whole medical school business, but I can also admit that there are perspectives on it that I have not heard yet, and I’m willing to listen to them and question my assumptions.

It’s no wonder it’s been said that America is no longer about Freedom of Speech, but about the ability to sort through the pounds and pounds of horse pucky everyone wants to throw at you while you struggle to form your own opinions on things, rather than letting other people think for you. 

Unfortunately, most people seem to think that the appropriate response to this deluge of information is to shout their opinions louder.

• Michmediaperson says:

You don’t think if CMU has all this money, that they shouldn’t refund it to the students for overcharging them?

• Huh? That comment wasn’t meant to have anything to do with the content of the original article. It was a spur-of-the-moment rhetorical analysis (something taught in English 101 at CMU) of the argument made above it.

It’s so frustrating to see people who are clearly passionate about an issue work themselves up in to so much of a frenzy that they lose their composure and can no longer engage in productive conversation. What’s the point of having a message board like this to exercise Free Speech if everyone focuses so much on exercising their right to air their opinion that they don’t take any other opinions seriously unless it aligns with their own desires. Basically it turns into comments expressing the same view, from the same people, that really have nothing to do with the point being made in the original article except for the occasional reference to the article demonstrating some greater injustice that they’d rather be talking about. Just imagine how much progress our nation could make if the media could hold a conversation in which both sides leave the debate with more respect for opinions expressed.

• Michmediaperson says:

Anon, you’re missing my point.

800,000 people were thrown out of work by a Marxist Governor.

So, with so many Michigan residents out of work, why should union employees who bought and paid for the Marxist Governor, get a pay raise????

In fact, they ought to get a pay decrease!!!

Granholm was not and continues to be anti-capitalist, a tax raiser who destroyed the state.

In fact, if the CMU faculty quit paying union dues today and quit paying union dues to subsidize Obama, Stabenow and all the other Democrats—-they could give themselves a nice pay raise!!!

Contrast Granholm to Rick Perry, the capitalist Texas Governor who brought plenty of jobs to Texas despite all the illegals stealing jobs.

I can see you don’t listen to Rush Limbaugh who just today talked about Obama’s Marxist speech yesterday in Kansas about how lousy American capitalism is.

• Yes, let’s contrast Michigan to Rick Perry’s Texas.

“Consider the Texas that Perry holds up to the rest of the nation for
            admiration. It has the fourth-highest poverty rate of any state. It tied
            with Mississippi last year for the highest percentage of workers in minimum-wage jobs. It ranks first in adults without high school diplomas. Twenty-six percent of Texans have no health insurance
            — the highest percentage of medically uninsured residents of any
            state. It leads the nation in the percentage of children who lack
            medical insurance. Texas has an inordinate number of employers who
            provide no insurance to their workers, partly because insurance rates
            are high, thanks to an absence of regulations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-sad-facts-behind-rick-perrys-texas-miracle/2011/08/16/gIQAxc3zJJ_story.html

That might be your goal for Michigan, but it’s not mine.

• Michmediaperson says:

We’re not funding all those illegals in Texas!  Insurance rates are high because of all the illegals!

• So how much do you make a year? $500k? $750k? You’re such a Republican you must have a Scrooge McDuck-like chamber of money to roll around in.

• JagrIsMyHero says:

Could we pay you to go away, Michmediocreperson?  In the spirit of all things are possible in the market place, let’s take up a “Contribute a Dollar to Make the Dullard Go” fund. I swear on the soul of Adam Smith that I will match every dollar given to this just and timely cause!

2. I bet they raise tuition and housing again in 2012. Mark my word.