Dick’s Sporting Goods in process of opening new location, signage approved at Union Township meeting
Approval for signs is one of the first completed steps in the process of Dick’s Sporting Goods opening a location in Union Township.
The Union Township Zoning Board of Appeals agreed Wednesday to grant sign variances to ImageOne Industries, the company that creates Dick’s Sporting Goods signs.
A variance is needed when the request for a land use permit does not comply with the township’s zoning ordinances, said Board Member Al Kaufmann.
Typically variances are for dimensional or numerical numbers, Kaufmann said.
“We are not setting policy, “said Board Member Jayne Cherie Strachan. “We’re deciding things on a case-by-case basis.”
The new store will be 45,000 square feet, located in the Indian Hills Plaza, in the other half of the old Wal-Mart building next to JoAnn Fabrics, said Zoning Administrator Woody Woodruff.
The proposed signs are to be placed on the store itself and one on Mission Road.
“All of Dick’s Sporting Goods signs are the same,” said Attorney Joseph Barberi. “It’s very important to them to have the same sign. The size of some of the signs we are proposing are smaller than JoAnn Fabric’s.”
Board Member Tim Warner said the signs sit back far enough, so he voted in favor.
The plans for the signs are out ahead of the construction plans, Woodruff said.
He said he does not know when they will begin construction on the store.
Tom Gianni of ImageOne Industries said construction for a Dick’s Sporting Goods is expected to be finished for a fall 2012 opening.
“People will be thrilled that a Dick’s is coming to town,” Strachan said. “Even my husband was excited to hear the news, but I think the two signs is enough. ”
The township also decided to delay approving third sign. The board wanted to get a legal opinion on whether to OK a variance for the third sign.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Paris: I am very interested in this monkey but, I do not have money…
- SandyRupp: So,sorry to hear of your loss, My thoughts and prayers are …
- Pam Mellish: I worked for the Ellis Family for over 10 years at Someplace…
- : Time for Heeke and Enos to go as well. …
- Jamie Iseler: I came to know Art Ellis as a CM LIFE reporter covering CMU'…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here