Student Groups

Ron Paul wins CMU College Republicans straw poll

Ron Paul came in first in a straw poll conducted Tuesday by the College Republicans.

In total, 101 people participated in the straw poll. Ron Paul came in first with 49 percent, followed by Mitt Romney with 36 percent. Rick Santorum came in third with 11 percent, followed by Newt Gingrich with 4 percent and Fred Karger with 1 percent. Buddy Roemer did not receive any votes.

When looking at the enthusiasm of the candidates’ supporters, Santorum had the highest enthusiasm with 64 percent of his supporters identifying as somewhat or very likely to vote. When considering how likely participants were to vote in Michigan’s Feb. 28 primary, 42 percent said they were very likely, 11 percent said somewhat likely, 14 percent said it was a 50-50 chance, 8 percent said they were somewhat unlikely and 25 percent said they were very unlikely to vote.

“My views are more conservative, because that’s how I was raised,” said Merrill junior Angelica Moore. “I really like Ron Paul. I think he has a lot of great ideas, so that’s how I based my decision.”

Students of all political parties were encouraged to take part in the poll.

Farmington Hills junior Jessica Williams, a  member of College Republicans, said there seems to be a smaller Republican base on campus, which is why some people may have been discouraged from taking part in the straw poll.

“This poll at least encourages people to see the names and do more research on who’s running,” Williams said. “It’s important to remain current despite what your beliefs may be.”

The registered student organization advertised the straw poll on their Facebook page and through word of mouth. Booths were set up outside and inside the Bovee University Center. The tables contained ballots and business cards with information of meeting times for the RSO.

“Even those who didn’t vote walked by and started conversations with their friends about registering to vote,” said Port Huron sophomore and CR member Alex Porrett. “It is not about who wins the straw poll; we just want to make people aware of the importance of the upcoming primary.”

Upcoming events for College Republicans will include a trip to Washington D.C. for the Conservative Political Action Conference next week. CPAC will feature prominent Republican speakers and Congressmen. In April, College Republicans plans to salute troops from Michigan who are stationed overseas by having students sign a banner that will be mailed to a specific platoon.

They will also be conducting voter registration drives and volunteering for candidates, both at the national and local level leading up to the election.

“We learned today that CMU students are actively involved in the political process. Students showed an eagerness to make their voices heard and to influence the outcome of the presidential election,” said Grand Rapids senior and Vice Chairman Ben Greene. “We hope to see this level of eagerness and enthusiasm extend through the general election.”

College Republicans hold meetings at 9 p.m. every Tuesday in Anspach Hall room 169.

1. Ron Paul 2012

2. Contact me on Facebook if you live in Mt. Pleasant or in the the Central Michigan area and would like to volunteer and get involved on a local level.

RON PAUL 2012

3. I want to know why CMU students fund the College Republicans partisan electioneering? We shouldn’t be giving them a couple hundred bucks to go hang out at Republican campaign events as they’re doing next week at CPAC.

• I want to know why CMU students fund your comments?  We shouldn’t be giving you a couple hundred bucks to post comments. 

• I would like to know how the College Republicans were partisan electioneering? 

• I didn’t ask about this event. I highlighted the fact that CMU gives student and taxpayer money to a political party to attend political conferences and hob-nose with politicians and political elites. Not only is this questionable as to legality, it’s simply not right. CMU students as well as taxpayers shouldn’t pay for College Republican or College Democrat members to attend political conferences.

4. How many of the participants were even registered voters let alone registered Republicans? The presidential primary is a closed primary meaning you must be a Republican to vote.

5. Michigan does not have party registration.  Anyone can declare that they are a Republican when they go to vote.

6. Chip, do you not feel as if it’s beneficial for students to attend events that allow them to network and make connections on the national level? It’s certainly legal. The College Republicans receive a modest sum to attend CPAC (usually not enough to cover a quarter of the cost of attendance). These funds are available through the Student Budget Allocation Committee to any group which requests them. If this money is not used, it goes back into the general budget for the next academic year. If Registered Student Organizations are all given equal opportunity to request funding, they should be allowed to, regardless of affiliation. If you really cared about the University, you would want its students to partake in things that interested and enriched their college experience. I suggest you mind your own.

7. Wow, a lengthy article about a meaningless caucus? It’s okay, Obama will win in November.

8. I don’t think any partisan group whose sole purpose to elect or defeat candidates based on their political party should receive public funding. That’s not allowed under Michigan law. Just as CMU or the SGA cannot give money to the Isabella County Democrat or Republican committees, it cannot give money to the College Democrats or College Republicans. If they were educational and non-partisan groups, I wouldn’t have a problem with perhaps some funding of educational trips. But let’s face it. These are hardly educational trips. These are drinking vacations for Republicans with sightseeing mixed in and maybe a couple of speakers. Also, I thought SBAC only funded a conference once. I didn’t think the same small group could go back each and very year with their hands out for money. Setting aside all of these issues, isn’t it ironic that the folks who want smaller government are getting government funding? Spin it any way you want, but SGA money is public government funds. Some of it comes from tuition and some of it comes from the general fund of CMU, which is money given to the school by taxpayers.

• John Edson Porter says:

I’m not sure why Dennis Lennox cares so much about a group that he got kicked out of. Dennis, didn’t the cm-life disqualify you as a source? I’ll be sure to post my name so I can’t hide behind anonymity.