Train excursion to highlight woodlands, benefit MPDM
Those interested in traveling by train and raising money for a local cause can fulfill that wish this weekend.
Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum is offering a train excursion from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday beginning at Mountain Town Station, 506 W. Broadway St.
Train enthusiast Sam Staples is lending his train car to the cause for the day.
“All of the proceeds will go to the children’s Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum,” Staples said.
Three train cars have seating available for 250 passengers, he said.
Staples said there will be a few Valentine’s Day decorations for endless love tailored to the theme.
“It’s a way for local people to raise capital to build a museum,” said Jennifer Fields, co-founder and member of the board of directors.
Fields said she wants to encourage as much involvement from Central Michigan University as possible.
A double-decker will seat up to 125 passengers for $25 per adult and $5 per child 12 and under, with a limit of three children per adult.
Those looking for a Valentine’s Day experience can purchase a $40 ticket for the Dome car, which will serve alcohol and hors d’oeuvres.
The business car, $35 a ticket, will serve alcohol and hors d’oeuvres, but in a less romantic setting, seating four to six passengers.
Fields said the museum is always offering ways for people to marry their love of the community and the museum.
“We need their support or we won’t open,” Fields said.
The proceeds will help build the exhibits inside the museum. The sooner the necessary funds are raised, Fields said, the sooner the MPDM can open.
Tickets can be purchased at Art Reach of Mid Michigan, 111 E. Broadway St., Commerce Center Phone Book Office, 711 W. Pickard St., and Gingko Tree Inn and River Bluff Bistro, 309 N. Main St.
As of Thursday 35 tickets were still available for the children’s car, which will feature family friendly snacks from GreenTree Cooperative Grocery.
Approximately 20 are left on the premier car, which will have hors d’oeuvres provided by Gingko Tree Inn and Riverbluff Bistro.
Alpha Phi Omega will hold a Texas hold ‘em tournament from 7 to 10 p.m. Feb. 16 to benefit MPDM.
Early registration is $10, or $15 at the door. All proceeds of the tournament will benefit MPDM.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here