Columns / Voices

COLUMN: You call it Valentine’s Day, I call it dumb

Jessica Fecteau/Senior Reporter

Tuesday’s the big day.

The one day a year where girls hold their boyfriends to higher standards than normal and guys try to be cute and exceed them. They go out, spend money on flowers that will die in a week, chocolate that is overpriced and unnecessary stuffed animals in attempts to make their girl happy.

How dumb.

Suddenly everything red, pink and white makes me nauseous for a month straight the week after New Years.  Even when I had a significant other to share this glorious day with, I wasn’t into it.

I acted happy to see 12 roses in his hand followed by a nice dinner. But, did I really care? No.

Sounds harsh, but receiving those gifts from him was expected and forced by our culture. Receiving that on any other random day would have been great. On the one day a man is pretty much forced to act romantically, I couldn’t care less.

Although, I always played along so I wasn’t the heartless one.

It’s a holiday that makes men act like the gentlemen they should be every day and girls another reason to be “so in love with love.” Combine the two and couples act like they need to go all out to make their love feel meaningful or something grand.

The only genuinely good part about the 14th day of February is the box Mr. UPS guy drops off at my house the week before.

My mom always calls me and acts coy about telling me to expect a box full of “mysterious items I forgot at home.”

This year I must’ve forgotten my heart-shaped pillow, heart-covered blanket and box of chocolates with a puppy on the cover resembling my own dog at home.

Seriously, mom, love you.

These are the only gifts I like because it’s coming from my mom; the one person who doesn’t need to buy me anything for a day resembling romantic love.

This leads to me why I am thankful for being single this year. There’s no need to pretend to be happy for forced gifts or think of some crazy stunt to do on the big night out. Hell, I can even sit in my pajamas all night and not worry about what he’ll like to see me dressed up in.

And it leaves more time for me to make inappropriate sentences out of those darn little candy conversation hearts.  Thanks again, mom.

If you’re being forced to celebrate this season due to a committed status some people call a relationship, that sucks.

But if you’re single and looking to piece together a great sentence from candy my mom sent me, you know how to reach me.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone.

1. Celebrating Love says:

Just because you don’t have a boyfriend or someone to share it with means that this holiday is dumb.  I appreciate everyone in my life and take it as an extra lucky day to tell everyone I love them, especially my long distance boyfriend.  We are not FORCED to celebrate this day, we CHOOSE to celebrate because of how much we mean to each other.  I never asked for flowers, nor did I ask for the amazing hand written note he wrote me.  Love does not have to be expensive, or glorified, or fake.

Contrary to what you say, love is meaningful; love is grand.  If you’re forced to celebrate this season due to a lack of a significant partner, that sucks.  You sound unappreciative of having beautiful things in life and take things for granted.  I hope that works out for you.

2. After reading this article, I felt embarrassed for both you and CM-Life.  The moment I saw this article, I knew I was in for a good laugh.  For someone who supposedly “doesn’t care” about Valentine’s Day, you sure seem to have put a lot of thought into bashing it. You come off as a cynic – and one that is very obviously, painfully single at that.  And to CM-Life; I think I would respect your publication a little more if you chose not to run such trite, whiny columns written by jaded girls who aren’t lucky in love.

3. You could care less or you couldn’t care less?

4. People are so harsh. Maybe if you understood what the column was really about you wouldn’t think she was hating being single. She hates the fact that it’s a day where people are told to share their love. Often in overdramatic ways. 

5. Oh, you hate Valentine’s Day enough to bash it in a column?

We get it, nobody likes you, you’re single and you’re reminded on the one day that couples get to appreciate that you’re single.

Woe is me, go whine some more.

6. I_Was_A_Teenage_McCarthyist says:

all these commentators are lobbing super personal attacks and making reference to love at the same time. That’s cool and all, but you must admit:

Valentine’s day is a pretty ridiculous holiday.

7. If your boyfriend doesn’t do these things for you randomly, or tell you that he loves you everyday then you’re with the wrong guy. Don’t go bashing valentines day if you’re seeing some guy that doesn’t deserve you. It’s nice to have that extra special day set aside for just a little bit more romance than usual.

8. Many people don’t have a mother on mothers day or a father on fathers day, you don’t see them writing a column about it.