Gymnastics takes on winless George Washington Sunday
The Central Michigan gymnastics team (9-3, 4-0) will host George Washington in a non-conference meet 1 p.m. Sunday at McGuirk Arena.
The Colonials are from the Atlantic 10 conference and have yet to finish a meet in first place this year.
After beating Kent State, CMU head coach Jerry Reighard said he doesn’t believe the team will have a let down.
“I’m not worried about a let down,” Reighard said. “That victory against Kent State really inspired us, and I think we believe in ourselves more now than we have all season.”
The performance against Kent State earned senior Kristin Teubner her second-straight Mid-American Conference gymnast of the week honors, while sophomore Meaghan McWhorter was MAC specialist of the week.
Reighard said he doesn’t believe the meet against the Colonials will be a trap.
“I don’t think my team is aware that they haven’t won,” Reighard said. “We are aiming to compete for a team score more than against an opponent. That’s the way we have been approaching practice all week. We’ve been working on the little things, hopefully that transfers into a better team score.”
Teubner and sophomore Brittany Petzold have been carrying the Chippewas throughout this season. Reighard said they are key to the meet against George Washington as well.
“Kristin Teubner has really been leading the charge,” Reighard said. “When she is on, and Brittany Petzold is on, I think that puts a lot of confidence into the team.
Three weeks ago, freshman Rebecca Druien fell during bars. Druien couldn’t continue during the meet due to an elbow injury. She has been working her way back to become an all-arounder once again.
Druien still isn’t ready for that role, so fellow freshman Halle Moraw will be the third all-arounder for the Chippewas against the Colonials.
“Halle will go all-around again,” Reighard said. “We are really trying to get Rebecca Druien back on bars. She is still wearing an elbow brace. We are a little bit leery that if we use her in something that she might fall, and that’s what cost us the meet against Texas Woman’s University. There is a chance she will be back, but we are being very careful.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here