University Meadows residents receive notice of possible contaminated water
Those drinking from Union Township’s distribution system Well 8 have run the risk of drinking water contaminated with E. coli.
University Meadows resident Kaylee Turnwald, a Chesaning junior, received notice of the contamination Feb. 29.
The document stated Union Township’s Distribution System was made aware of contamination Feb. 14, after sampling systems on Feb. 13.
The notice said residents do not have to boil their water or take corrective actions.
“It’s upsetting that we’re just finding out,” Turnwald said.
Throughout this time, Turnwald’s water turned brown and then clear, she said.
The sample from all wells came back negative, but a sample of Well 8 came back positive for fecal contamination.
Samples of Well 8 taken on Feb. 16 and 17 came back negative for E. coli.
According to the notice, Well 8 is one of six wells.
“We thought it was just rusty water,” Turnwald said.
Ingesting water that is positive with fecal contamination puts consumers at risk for: diarrhea, nausea, cramps and headaches. These ailments are because of inadequately protected water, which may contain disease-causing organisms.
Turnwald said this weekend she and her roommates were sick to their stomachs, throwing up and had headaches.
“We just got the notice today and we were all freaking out,” Turnwald said.
Union Township’s Distribution public works coordinator has not yet returned calls made by Central Michigan Life.
Nearby apartment complex the Village at Bluegrass did not receive a notice of contamination.
Elderly, infants and those with weak immune systems are encouraged to call EPA’s safe drinking water hotline at (800) 426-4791.
The notice also encourages those who drink this water to tell those who did not receive the notice. These include people in apartments, nursing homes, schools and businesses.
Steps are being taken to sample Well 8 to find sources of possible contamination, according to the notice. Residents of University Meadows will be kept informed of the steps being taken.
The notice encourages those who want more information to write to Union Township Hall, 2010 S. Lincoln Road.
Check back to cm-life.com for updates to this story.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- xe yamaha,xe may yamaha,xe máy yamaha,yamaha,gia xe yamaha,giá xe Yamaha,tim xe may Yamaha: Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished…
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here