Local businesses flourish as spring arrives in Mount Pleasant
The warmth of spring last week brought more people outside and into Mount Pleasant’s local businesses.
Buckley’s Mountain Side Canoes, 4700 W. Remus Road, was renting as early as St. Patrick’s Day, said owner Liz Busch.
“I love having people come out and then get out on the river,” she said.
Buckley’s features canoe, kayak and paddle board rentals, which are new this year.
“You can paddle, kneel or lay down with the paddle boards,” Busch said. “It’s probably our most flexible watercraft.”
Busch took over as owner of Buckley’s in 2010 and said this year rentals occurred especially early. Last year’s first rental was on Earth Day in April.
“Students can book groups early for a big discount,” she said.
Busch said she is also working to organize a river cleanup and encouraged students to get involved. Those involved with the cleanup will not be charged for rentals.
When Doozies Ice Cream Place opened last week, crowds clamored to the popular spot, and business has been pretty steady ever since, said owner Clyde Dosenberry.
For 20 years Doozies, 1310 E. Pickard St., has been giving away free cones during evenings when they first open for the season.
“I appreciate everyone that comes out to Doozies,” Dosenberry said.
He said he hopes customers keep coming and trying some of their other products.
Barista Chelsea Hohn at Kaya Coffee and Tea Co., 1029 S. University Ave., said more people have been sitting outside during recent warm spring weather.
“We’ve sold a lot more fruit, cold lattes and smoothies,” the Grand Blanc sophomore said.
Barista Libby Motzenbecker said it’s interesting to see how the regular crowd changes with the weather.
“A lot more people come and go,” the Troy junior said. “With the nice weather, everyone is in a better mood.”
To accommodate the warm weather, Kaya has consistently brewed more iced tea and coffee to serve customers, Motzenbecker said.
“It’s not as appealing to have a hot drink when you’re already warm,” she said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Now that CMU has been eliminated, is there a way to end Jaks…
- Track Watcher: With a dismal showing at the MAC meet, you always want to be…
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here