College of Medicine / Top Stories / University

Academic Senate continues suspension of work toward College of Medicine curriculum

President George Ross speaks to the Academic Senate regarding his vote of no confidence in the Academic Senate meeting in Pearce 138, April 3. (Zack Wittman/Staff Photographer)

A majority of the Academic Senate voted Tuesday to continue to suspend committee work toward developing the curriculum of the College of Medicine.

The A-Senate resolved to hold a motion to rescind the prohibiting resolution during their next meeting on April 17. If the motion is withheld at that time, curriculum work for CMED will continue.

The development of the curriculum was originally suspended after a resolution passed by the A-Senate on Nov. 1 stated “all work by, toward and on behalf of the College of Medicine pertaining to curriculum, non-curricular policies and procedures and faculty recruitment be suspended until such time as the above concerns have been addressed by and to the satisfaction of the Academic Senate.”

Ernest Yoder, Dean of the College of Medicine, speaks at the meeting of the Academic Senate in Pearce 138, April 3. (Zack Wittman/Staff Photographer)

James Hill, professor of political science, said the Nov. 1 resolution means little if the Senate does not follow up on it.

“I wonder what the value of the resolution is if we continue as normal,” Hill said. “If it’s going to have an impact, it must extend to the committees.”

University President George Ross initially questioned the A-Senate’s inhibitions, asking “what info hasn’t been provided?” and referred to the Liaison Committee on Medical Education accreditation granted earlier this year, in addition to financial reports released earlier this year.

Questions were then asked regarding the total cost of the project, and Ross said he would immediately release that information when it becomes available.

“When that information is revealed to me, I will present it to this body, the university and the state,” Ross said.

Other business

Two academic programs, the nursing minor and humanities minor, were deleted from the university curriculum by a unanimous vote. Both will no longer be available for registration in the fall semester.

All the openings of the Senate nominating committee were filled by David Whale, professor of educational leadership and Lynn Dominguez, assistant professor of recreation parks and leisure services. One position is still open in the Faculty Senate, with Mark Lehman, professor of communication disorders, filling one of the two vacant senate seats.

1. so, ross doesn’t know what the total cost is going to be? are you kidding me? this project has been ongoing for several years now, is supposedly near completion and he doesn’t have a total cost projection?

he is so out of touch. it’s time for him, shapiro, yoder and the board to resign, immediately.

2. also, shouldn’t that ‘ross doesn’t know how much CMED is going to cost’ be the lead or a separate story? i mean seriously.

3. concerned CMU student says:

I, for one time, disagree with the academic senate- I agree the medical school is a huge money magnet from CMU funds.. and the board should have probably raised enough money before hiring deans/ faculty for the med school, but the fact is the med school is here already… and a lot of investment has been made on it already. At this point, hindering the medical school process will only do harm to CMU (yeah, financially too)- the senate should rather utilize its energy to help and collaborate with the medical school, so that the first group of students can be brought in, on time, in 2013. Although the senate’s initial concern over transparency and financial situation is legitimate, at this point, it has become an issue of personal ego for some of the senate’s leadership/ members. Two wrongs will never make things right. Moreover, in the long run, the medical school will start generating revenues to CMU, after all.

(p.s. I, by no means, am defending the President or the Board of Trustees.)

• Creative_destruction says:

I believe there are two issues at play here. 1.) The faculty is still attempting to punish the President and the board of trustees over the faculty contract. and 2.) Professional jealousy. The school of medicine will bring in a level of faculty intellect that is intimidating to to soft science folks who teach intellectual basket weaving at this University. Their exceedingly selfish behavior highlights why they should NEVER be allowed a seat at the president or board of trustees decision making table.

4. concerned CMU student says:

Yoder has already presented the med school’s financial report, it was on CM-life months ago. idk what you are talking about.