Spring Poetry Reading Marathon will allow students to share works
Students will have an opportunity to share their favorite pieces of poetry and their own work during an all day event Friday.
The annual Spring Marathon Poetry Reading will began at 10 a.m. at the lawn beside the pond across from the Park Library. Students are not only encouraged to read poetry, but also invited to play music, and read works of fiction.
Robert Fanning, assistant professor of creative writing and director of the event, said that the reading was an important celebration of creative art forms.
“We spend so much time reading stories and books inside of a classroom,” Fanning said. “This is a chance for words to escape that cage.”
Fanning said the fact the event has no set end-time or schedule not only makes the event exciting, but also is an indicator of how excited students are about poetry.
“I think we’re going to have a large turnout this year. We’ve had the event last a couple hours, we’ve had it last all day,” he said. “It depends on the energy of the students. I find that it ebbs and flows throughout the day.”
Students are invited to just sit and listen, bring blankets and pack a lunch if they would like.
Fanning stressed that the event was not only meant for students going into creative writing but for any students interested in poetry or fiction.
Poet’s Collective President and Mount Pleasant Senior Leigh Jajuga said she was excited for the event.
Jajuga said the event is important because it creates enthusiasm for poetry for all of the students involved.
“If one person gets up, it’s a really courageous thing,” Jajuga said. “When students show that kind of ambition, it spreads. And perhaps, the best friend they brought to the event will also want to share some of their work. The energy transfers from student to student.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here