News / Top Stories / University

CMU student treated for bacterial meningitis

A Central Michigan University student who lived in Trout Residence Hall has tested positive for bacterial meningitis, according to a release from the university.

Nicholas Collins, a Livonia freshman, was considered to have been contagious with meningococcal meningitis, a bacterial form of the serious infection that surrounds the brain and spinal cord, between April 30 and Monday. Collins moved out of his Trout residence hall room on Thursday, according to the university. An email was sent out to all students and faculty Wednesday morning.

CMU was alerted of the situation Tuesday by the Central Michigan District Health Department and asks anyone that may have come in contact with Collins to call the Wayne County Health Department, tasked with leading the investigation, at (734) 727-7078.

Bacterial meningitis can be passed through oral secretions in the upper respiratory or throat sections, such as kissing, sneezing or coughing. If untreated, it can cause serious brain damage and possibly death, according to the World Health Organization.

Those believed to be in close contact with Nichols can also call your local healthcare provider of CMU Health Services at (989) 774-6577.

5 Comments

  1. As a parent who lost her 20 year old college son to this disease, I am praying for this student’t recovery.  I didn’t know at the time, that a safe vaccine could have potentially saved my son’s life.  Please make sure your children are vaccinated according to CDC recommendations.  First vaccine at ages 11-12 with a boster dose 5 years later.  There is no turning back, once this bacteia has entered your body and started its destructive path.

  2. It sure would have been nice if the school or Wayne County Health Department had notified the kids that lived with Nick or their parents. Our prayers go out to the Collins family.

  3. concerned father says:

    The school president should resign over the handeling of this tragedy. One roomate of Collins was contacted by the University only after his father called them after seeing the above post which was posted almost 16 hours after Collins fell ill. Prayers are with the Collins family and all other students that may still need medical attention due to the negligance of the university.

  4. RIP Nick… you really made an impact in our hall this year.

  5. Armst4al says:

    He passed away. Incredibly heartbreaking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>



Advertise with Us! | Contact Us | About Us | Join CM-Life's Staff