Suspensions reduced for Deon Butler, Kevin King
Editor’s note: This story has been updated to correct inaccuracies
Sophomore wide receiver Deon Butler and sophomore defensive back Kevin King have had their suspensions reduced according to the Central Michigan Athletics Department.
Butler and King both missed the 2012 season opener against Southeast Missouri State.
Butler will be eligible for the Sept. 8 matchup against Michigan State. King will serve one more game suspension before gaining eligibility for the Sept. 22 game at Iowa.
“Our student-athletes are held to a rigorous standard of excellence and a code of conduct,” head coach Dan Enos said. “A repeated or significant violation of these standards, according to our policies, will result in an immediate dismissal from our program. While Kevin’s actions were obviously not a reflection of those expectations, he has demonstrated an understanding of his actions and he is willing to take the necessary steps to earn the trust of his coaches, teammates, peers and this University.”
Enos was not available to comment on Butler’s suspension
King, who was originally charged with delivery and manufacturing narcotics in April, pled guilty on Aug.23 and will be sentenced in Isabella County Court on Oct. 1. His original felony charge was dropped to a misdemeanor.
According to court records, King may not contact co-defendants Austin White and Joe Sawicki.
Butler, of Detroit, was arrested by CMU police and charged with one count of receiving and concealing stolen property in April, estimated to be worth $200 and $1000.
A police investigation then led to a terrace-level dorm room in Celani Residence Hall, where police allege sophomores Sawicki and White were growing and selling psilocybin, a form of hallucinogenic mushrooms.
White and Sawicki have been removed from the football team.
CMU police chief Bill Yeagley was unavailable for comment.
King appeared in all 12 games last season and recorded his first career blocked punt against MSU. Butler also made 12 appearances, including two starts at wide out.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here