Volleyball will host Oakland Tuesday for home opener
For the first time since Saturday Sept. 20, 2008, the Central Michigan volleyball team will host a non-conference opponent.
The Chippewas (3-3) will host Oakland Tuesday at 7 p.m. in McGuirk Arena. The Golden Grizzles (3-3) are coming off a sweep of Toledo and a five-set win over Iowa in their Golden Grizzles Invitational.
“Oakland is a good serving team and a good passing team,” head coach Erik Olson said. “They’re a little undersized and we’re definitely more physical than them.”
CMU has been tested as well this season, but has not come out with wins in those big matches. It suffered a five-set loss to Auburn, as well as sweeps by No. 22 Michigan and Arkansas.
“Both (Michigan and Arkansas) served very tough and we just weren’t doing a good job in communication,” Olson said. “After Arkansas, we figured out we weren’t making proper adjustments, so as coaches, I guess, we found out that we can’t leave any blanks in terms of execution.”
The Chippewas are expecting to play in front of one of the highest attended matches in recent history after coming off the program’s first Mid-American Conference championship. In addition, CMU athletics are handing out the final almost 1,000 student tickets for this weekend’s Michigan State football game.
“Our team thrives off of a hostile environment, so they will certainly thrive off a great home environment,” Olson said.
The Chippewas got a taste of what a home environment could be like against Michigan Friday night, and will be hoping to get a similar welcoming Tuesday night.
“It’s going to be amazing – my first game in McGuirk,” said freshman middle blocker Angelique White. “There’s going to be a ton of fans and I’m sure it’ll be exciting.”
Athletics will start swiping student IDs for the final almost 1,000 tickets at 5:30 p.m. in the atrium of McGuirk Arena, and the game will begin at 7 p.m.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here