Veteran men’s cross-country team motivated by 2011 finish
The Central Michigan men’s cross-country team has high hopes for the upcoming season.
Six of the top seven runners are returning for the 2012 men’s cross-country team, making this years team full of veteran leadership.
The men’s team finished second at the 2011 Mid-American Conference Championships and posted a seventh-place finish at the Great Lakes Regional in 2011.
Director of cross-country Willie Randolph said the team is still motivated by last years seventh-place finish at regionals.
“We are working toward getting back to dominating the conference, while doing some great things regionally and getting back to the national scene,” Randolph said. “These guys work hard and are dedicated and focused.”
The men’s cross country team is ranked at the top in the region for any MAC team, and ninth in the Great Lakes Region, according to the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.
Senior leadership will come from seniors Jason Drudge and Matt Lutzke, as well as, juniors Nathan Huff and Zach Tranter. sophomores Kyle Stacks and Ben Wynsma.
“We have a lot of depth … our goals are to win a MAC championship and qualify for nationals,” says Huff.
Randolph said having a good blend of youth and a lot of maturity is important in order to succeed and work together as a team.
“Adding some of these pieces together will make us even stronger,” Randolph said. “The upperclassmen have to lead by example, keep calm and execute … having strong veteran leadership is priceless.”
While there are many veterans on the team, there are also some redshirt freshmen whose roles will be determined as the season goes on.
CMU will kickoff its season Friday during the 27th Annual Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K at Pleasant Hills Golf Course.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here