Football non-conference schedule released
No. 11 Michigan State Spartans will be the highest-ranked team to ever play at Kelly/Shorts Stadium when it takes on Central Michigan Saturday.
After the team released its future non-conference schedules on Friday, that might change in the near future.
The Chippewas will host North Carolina State in 2014, Oklahoma State in 2015, UNLV in 2016 and Kansas in 2018.
“Im very pleased,” Director of Athletics Dave Heeke said. “We’ve been working hard to build schedules since I arrived here. It’s very complicated to balance all the demands and still build a schedule from a home perspective that’s attractive to our home fans. The opportunity to bring in big programs is a priority for me.”
The Chippewas will also travel to take on North Carolina State and UNLV in 2013, Kansas in 2014 and 2017 and Oklahoma State in 2016 and 2018.
CMU will continue to play its in-state rivals as well, including a trip to Michigan to open the 2013 season and games against Michigan State in East Lansing in 2015 and 2018. Heeke said games like these against major conference opponents are crucial for CMU.
“It’s challenging,” he said. “But it’s part of our financial model as a football program to go on the road and secure guarantees to help fund the whole athletics program.”
Games against high-profile teams are something Heeke will continue to try and schedule as long as he’s at CMU.
“We’ll look out years down the road to secure and continue these types of partnerships.” he said. “It’s great for our players, an outstanding showcase for our university and provides great value for our fan base.”
Heeke said playing against schools from bigger conferences provides a unique challenge for CMU.
“Obviously, there’s that motivational factor to play against a school that is favored and also has an abundance of resources that our program does not have,” Heeke said. “To rise above all of that and win is rewarding.”
The Chippewas lost 38-24 to North Carolina State in 2011, the first-ever meeting between the schools.
CMU has played UNLV three times but has not faced the Runnin’ Rebels since the 1994 Las Vegas Bowl, when they lost 52-24. The Chippewas are 1-2 all-time against UNLV.
Kansas defeated CMU 52-7 in the schools’ only meeting in 2007. The Chippewas have never met Oklahoma State in the program’s history.
Year Opponent Money Received Money Paid
2013 at N.C. State $300,000 None
2013 at UNLV $200,000 None
2014 N.C. State None $250,000
2014 at Kansas $200,000 None
2015 Oklahoma St. None $250,000
2016 at Oklahoma St. $250,000 None
2016 UNLV None $200,000
2017 at Kansas $500,000 None
2018 Kansas None $200,000
2018 at Michigan St. $500,000 None
2018 at Oklahoma St. $550,000 None
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- xe yamaha,xe may yamaha,xe máy yamaha,yamaha,gia xe yamaha,giá xe Yamaha,tim xe may Yamaha: Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished…
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here