Students use meal plans and local stores to save money on food
The cost of college tuition plus a recovering economy means times are hard, especially for many college students.
With numerous cafeterias located around campus and a Meijer just around the corner, students know how to save their money when it comes to food.
“I like getting groceries from places near campus like Target and Meijer, I personally think it’s cheapest and I can get meals for a couple weeks,” said Catie Smith, a Detroit freshman.
Many students use off-campus food choices to get affordable meals that can keep them out of stores for longer lengths of time.
“I love getting packs of Ramen noodles, they can last me up to two weeks,” Smith said.
When it comes to saving money on food, some students take another route.
“I love using coupons, it’s a great way to save money,” Davison freshman Carly Hackett said.
Other students save money on campus using their Flex dollars or their meal plans.
“I like eating at the RFOC cafeteria because of the wide variety of choices it offers,” said Erica Horton, a Dearborn freshman. ”I’m very happy with food selections here. I use my student ID or Flex dollars so all the food is fairly cheap.”
Flex dollars are a common way for students to save money in their banks and pay for their food with their student ID card rather then spending money at local stores.
Another food option is the student meal plans appear as part of a student’s tuition. From pizza to a Mongolian grill, there’s a food choice for everyone.
“I’m a vegatarian and I personally like eating at the RFOC because of the vast variety of salad choices and it’s charged onto my meal plan so the cost is decent,” Hackett said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here