COLUMN: Find happiness in yourself, live a better life
Many people feel that happiness is induced by the love, praise and attention from others. But, this is not true in the slightest bit. I cannot say that I am completely innocent in being a part of this group of people that base their mood or emotions on other individuals. We all have our days where we feel like the world is out to get us but believing that creating happiness rather than looking for it, happens to be a trick I have realized works.
A part of growing up is finding out who you are, what makes you tick and what makes you thrive.
Back in junior high and high school, how popular you were or how well you were doing in sports was the greatest feeling of all time.
But, now as I find myself getting more in depth with who I truly am, I can see that it really is how I feel about myself through both failure and success that I really need to worry about.
I am one of those typical cheesy females that loves looking at quotes and such to boost my mood and I ran across one a few years back that has always stuck with me. “Happiness is a journey, not a destination,” by Paul H. Dunn. I agree with this whole -heartedly because so many people find themselves focusing on where they want to be or what the future is holding, that they simply forget to embrace the growth that they made on the way.
I challenge whoever may be reading this to tell yourself everyday that you are going to choose to be happy no matter what obstacle you are faced with or any critic that may make you feel down. As cliché as it may be, I promise that it works and instead of having that 15-year-old, borderline depressed, immature mindset that you had before, you will find comfort in a new, more positive outlook. Remember, happiness is a choice and I have found that it brings a lot better choice along the journey.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here