Football team getting back to basics during bye week
Without a game this weekend, the Central Michigan football team had time to work on fundamentals in preparing for Iowa.
Last season, CMU played all 12 games in consecutive weeks — since the Chippewas are playing on Black Friday this year, they get a bye week.
Defensive backs coach Kirby Cannon said before the team could worry about getting back to the fundamentals or think about Iowa, they needed to fix things.
“I think (the) first thing to attack the next practice after a loss is mistakes,” he said. “We are focusing on cleaning those up so kids have confidence — if they made a mistake on Saturday, we fix it on Tuesday, and we move on from there.”
Those corrections are coming off a 41-7 loss to Michigan State on Sept. 8. CMU head coach Dan Enos said he would rather have a bye week, opposed to last season.
Enos and senior quarterback Ryan Radcliff both said it is important to work on the basics, while still working toward Iowa during the added practice time.
“We’re obviously looking ahead to Iowa, because that is the next opponent on our schedule,” Radcliff said. “But at the same time, we are working on ourselves again. Getting the normal ABCs of practice: the normal routine, normal fundamentals.”
Enos said the team would be able to have extra time off during the bye week, though senior captain Jahleel Addae said he would be in the film room anyway for at least an hour every day preparing.
Saturday, CMU will travel to Iowa (2-1) to face its second Big-Ten opponent in as many games.
“We’re using these practices to prepare for Iowa, but the best way to beat Iowa is being fundamentally sound,” Cannon said. “Also, doing a lot of day-one type drills (last week). Then (this week), it will be all about Iowa.”
Enos would not comment on the injury status of Jake Olson, Eric Fisher or Jerry Harris, saying “we’ll wait and see.”
Fisher and Harris both returned to play against the Spartans after getting banged up, but Olson did not return.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here