Shapiro to receive $254,000 salary during year off
Provost Gary Shapiro will earn his normal salary of more than $254,000 while taking a year off before returning to Central Michigan University to teach.
Shapiro announced on Sept. 11 he would resign as provost after this academic year and taking a year off as a transitional period, returning to CMU in fall 2014 as a professor. Shapiro’s last day as provost will be July 31, 2013, according Steve Smith, director of public relations.
According to the Senior Officer Handbook, Shapiro’s “salary during the transition leave shall be at the level existing on the last day of regular employment as a Senior Officer,” Smith wrote in an email.
Smith said no search committee or person to chair a committee has yet been appointed to look for Shapiro’s replacement. A national search for a replacement is expected to begin this fall.
Shapiro isn’t the only senior officer to resign and come back as a teacher, either.
Sue Ann Martin, former dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts, is now a fixed-term faculty member in the communication and dramatic arts department. Martin came to CMU in 1997 as CCFA dean and served before resigning in December 2008. She took a semester off before returning to teaching.
Former Dean of Students Bruce Roscoe served for 16 years before stepping down in April 2011. He returned to CMU in June 2011, about two months later, as a professor of human environmental studies department.
Shapiro, Roscoe and Martin could not be reached for comment.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Paris: I am very interested in this monkey but, I do not have money…
- SandyRupp: So,sorry to hear of your loss, My thoughts and prayers are …
- Pam Mellish: I worked for the Ellis Family for over 10 years at Someplace…
- : Time for Heeke and Enos to go as well. …
- Jamie Iseler: I came to know Art Ellis as a CM LIFE reporter covering CMU'…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here