Cross-country team takes break from competition, prepare for Roy Griak Invitational
The men’s and women’s cross country team’s top runners will get a break this week while a small group of redshirt freshmen will compete unattached Saturday at the Northwood Open.
The event is a non-scored race and will not be affiliated with the program.
Director of cross-country Willie Randolph said he knows that this week off will greatly benefit his team in preparation for their next race.
“This week, the team will have normal workouts, while also focusing on having more specific intensity during training,” he said.
Preparation and planning are keys to success in any race throughout the season, and Randolph said, this week is no different.
“We need to execute our plans and focus on the details of how to race,” Randolph said.
At this point in the season, many athletes are putting more strain than normal on their bodies during races and while practicing. Randolph said it can be difficult sometimes for the athletes to deal with expectations, while balancing their time, though they need to have that sense of urgency.
Sticking together as a team and improving individual performance week-in and week-out are on top of the agenda for Randolph, and the break will help add intensity to the team.
“I have enjoyed observing the team’s camaraderie and watching them go past their normal limits, while pushing themselves to go to the next level,” Randolph added.
After a week off from competition, the team will travel to Minneapolis, Minn. Sept. 29 for the Roy Griak Invitational.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : What is the standing cement block structure going to be for?…
- 5k: Solved the case!! …
- : SOLVED THE CASE …
- chipskeptic: It is always interesting to see the virulent reaction of any…
- bridesmaids: Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chanc…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here