MOVIE REVIEW: (500) Days of Summer the ultimate hipster movie, in a good way
Since last weekend’s Saturday Night Live, Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been on the mind of many.
His career has been on the rise in the past few years, much thanks to box office hits like “Inception” and “The Dark Knight Rises.”
But, of course, hipsters knew about Gordon-Levitt before then. They knew about him back in 2009 when he starred in “(500) Days of Summer.”
Hipsters also knew about his costar, Zooey Deschanel, before “New Girl” was broadcasted.
The film tells a story of boy-meets-girl. But it’s important to note that it is not a love story.
Gordon-Levitt plays a greeting card writer, Tom, who falls in love with the new hipster assistant, Summer, played by Deschanel.
He is looking for “The one,” while she isn’t looking for anything serious.
Nevertheless, they begin to see each other. The film bounces back and forth between days when the couple is on good terms and days when Tom is complete and utterly depressed because of the loss of summer.
The movie is perfect for hipsters not only because the main characters are hipsters (Summer says at one point that her favorite Beatle is Ringo Starr, simply because he isn’t anyone else’s favorite), but also because of the indie soundtrack.
“(500) Days of Summer” features artists like Regina Spektor, The Smiths and The Temper Trap.
If you haven’t heard of them, you’re probably not a hipster.
The film does pull a Disney, though, and has both the main actors sing at least one song on the soundtrack. This is forgivable, though, because both are talented singers without a lot of editing and Auto-Tune.
Somehow seamlessly merging the fun of a new relationship with the pain of a breakup, the movie will make anyone laugh, then cry, and then laugh again.
And it will make any sane person want to run around IKEA playing house.
In the end, the movie teaches us an important lesson we should be keen to remember at this time of year. While summer may have seemed like the best thing in the world, we might really just need autumn.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- bridesmaids: Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chanc…
- 66Chip: I certainly agree with the purpose of CCAP, which states tha…
- josh: I'm looking for a 98 to 2006 Suzuki katana frame with clean …
- Sherryl Morris: Hi, I am looking for a gas tank that may fit a 1980 Yamaha S…
- : Judge yourself first. …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here