SGA swears in eight new senators, looks ahead to future legislation
The Student Government Association swore in eight new senators Monday night, filling all but one of the previously vacant seats in the Senate.
Detroit junior Demetrius McCloud, Muskegon junior Sara O’Toole, Comstock Park sophomore Taylor Gehrcke, Saint Clair Shores sophomore Kevin White and Saginaw sophomore Marie Reimers were elected. Those representing graduate students include Center Line graduate student Jon Schuler, graduate student Binu Prabhakaran and Midland graduate student Michelle Steidemann.
O’Toole said she found the election to be an exciting experience.
It was a very exhilarating experience to give a speech among other CMU students who care about the same things I do,” O’Toole said, referring to the speech she gave to the general board last Monday. “I am more than excited to help prepare a better future for everyone.”
The SGA has struggled to fill senate seats in the past, and SGA Vice President Killian Richeson said the eight new senators are a welcomed change for SGA.
“I like it,” Richeson said. “I started off as a senator, and I like seeing the Senate full.”
SGA prepares for new legislation
The SGA expressed strong opinions on Monday night about a change in the academic calendar next year which would decrease the fall semester from 16 weeks to 15 weeks.
According to SGA President Justin Gawronski, the change will affect many facets of Central Michigan University. Leadership Safari would take place on Labor Day Weekend, which could significantly change attendance to the event. The change would also effectively get rid of several freshman orientation events, such as “No Zebras, No Excuses.”
Study abroad schedules would also be affected, and winter break will be shorter by one week. While room and board and meal plans will go down in price, tuition will stay the same.
“This is certain to happen, barring any insurmountable circumstances,” Gawronski said. “But students can be an insurmountable circumstance.”
Richeson said students are planning to start working on legislation against the change as early as next week.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- xe yamaha,xe may yamaha,xe máy yamaha,yamaha,gia xe yamaha,giá xe Yamaha,tim xe may Yamaha: Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished…
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here