Students share opinions on posting political views on social media sites
With the election coming up on Nov. 6, many students have been sharing their political views via social media, which can cause a variety of emotions among friends.Sophomore Melissa Baker said she often posts pictures on her Facebook that she shares from the fan page for “Being Liberal” that she finds interesting or informative about the way she is voting.
“If people post things that I didn’t know before, I will look into it sometimes, too. Everybody has a different political view, so I don’t get bothered by them posting theirs,” the Beaverton native said.
But not all students agree with Baker’s views on sharing your political stance on social media.
“It’s annoying because people aren’t usually fully educated on what they are saying, and they have no facts to back it up,” Troy junior Jaclyn Heikkinen said.
Freshman Donna Hurt said people have a tendency to be overly dramatic and bias when posting what they are thinking politically, but the way in which a person votes says a lot about them.
“It shows what you value and says something about your morals and how much you care about your country,” the Sterling Heights native said.
Heikkinen disagrees and thinks the candidates that her friends are voting for has no influence on who they are as people.
“I don’t look at them differently. I honestly think they are just trying to go with the crowd,” she said.
Hurt said she tries to stay out of the social media political scene, because it frequently can get controversial.
“I try not to comment on statuses or get involved, because everyone is entitled to their say,” she said.
Some students are not even voting in general because of all of the things that have been shared about the candidates who do not appeal to them.
“Romney has said some stupid things, so I’m not planning on voting,” Heikkinen said.
Hurt and Baker on the other hand are both very set in their voting stance and will be hitting the polls come November.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Now that CMU has been eliminated, is there a way to end Jaks…
- Track Watcher: With a dismal showing at the MAC meet, you always want to be…
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here