Phishing scam caught on CMail
Central Michigan University blocked an IP address on its Cmich server following a recent phishing scam.
CMU Police Lt. Larry Klaus said Wednesday CMU began investigating the scam following a report from a student who received an unsolicited email offering employment.
Klaus said the student received a check for $3,000 worth of wages. Upon attempting to cash the check, the bank told the victim the check was fraudulent.
CMU Police Department detective Mike Sienkiewicz immediately coordinated with the CMU Information Technology Department, which took immediate action and blocked the incoming IP address containing the scam, Klaus said.
“CMU IT also made notifications to those who had responded to the email in an effort to prevent additional students from being victimized,” he said.
The scam instructs victims to send their deposit slip, which allows the suspect to steal the victim’s account balances.
Aside from the victim, CMU’s information technology department identified and notified 60 CMU students who also responded to the email.
Although phishing scams can break through the firewalls and security measures at CMU, Klaus said this situation is uncommon.
“Phishing is very uncommon and the information technology department continually scans the system in an effort to detect those attempting to break through the security measures in place,” he said.
Still, phishing is common on other platforms and CMU is vulnerable.
“No system is 100 percent safe,” Klaus said. “Individuals should be very cautious in responding to unsolicited emails or social networking requests.”
CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley wants to remind students to be cautious online.
“If it seems too good to be true, it probably is,” he said. “We need people to be cautious with these scams.”
If you receive unsolicited emails in your Cmich email account, notify the CMU information technology department. If you suspect a phishing scam, contact CMU police.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- bridesmaids: Very good info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by chanc…
- 66Chip: I certainly agree with the purpose of CCAP, which states tha…
- josh: I'm looking for a 98 to 2006 Suzuki katana frame with clean …
- Sherryl Morris: Hi, I am looking for a gas tank that may fit a 1980 Yamaha S…
- : Judge yourself first. …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here