CMU sign outside of Larzelere Hall torn down, to be replaced by flower bed
The large brick CMU sign that previously stood outside Larzelere Hall was torn down Monday and will be temporarily replaced with a flower bed.
Underneath the spot where the sign once stood, a time capsule dating back to 1996 was found. The capsule included a cassette tape, a picture of Wolverine, a drawing of the band The Verve Pipe, an issue of Jet Magazine with The Cosby Show on the cover and a 1996 edition of Central Michigan Life.
Dave Jackson, the mason overseeing the sign’s demolition who also oversaw its construction, said university officials decided they wanted the sign torn down in favor of something new.
“I just found out about this recently,” Jackson said. “Those at the university just decided that they wanted something new here. Whether or not there will be a new sign, I don’t know, but there is definitely talk of it.”
According to a Facebook post by CMU on the university’s page, the flower bed that will replace the sign is temporary, but it has not been decided what will permanently take its place.
Residents of Larzelere Hall had mixed reactions to the sign’s demolition.
Grayling sophomore James Jimenez said he is upset to see the sign go.
“Foliage is nice, but it will never replace the feeling of coming to the north entrance of campus, seeing the sign, and knowing that you’re really home,” Jimenez said. “I’m going to miss it.”
Clio sophomore Melody Graves said she saw no need for the sign to be taken out.
“It may just be me, but I was really sad and frustrated to find out that a small yet meaningful part of my campus is so disposable to administration and that a flower bed would take precedence,” Graves said.
Some students are glad to see the sign go, including Holland senior Will Damian.
“Compared to the other signs around campus, this one portrayed very little prestige,” Damian said. “To me, it was just a pile of bricks and cheap aluminum letters. The move to replace it with something better — anything would have done the job, really — is a smart one that I support.”
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here