New homecoming week event requires competitors to use Instagram, show creativity
The newest homecoming week event incorporates both the thrill of a photography scavenger hunt with the interation of social media.
Gold Rush is a photo scavenger hunt with 100 objectives for participants to get pictures of. Tasks range from something simple as taking a picture with a Flying “C” in it to taking a picture of a human pyramid. Competitors are asked to take photos using cell phones with Instagram so judges can quickly judge the photos.
“I think it will present a new and exciting opportunity for students to have fun and compete in homecoming this year,” said Will Damien, event coordinator and Holland senior.
Gold Rush is part of the Maroon Cup competition held during homecoming week and take place at Finch Fieldhouse at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
“We are utilizing technology to make the photo scavenger hunt run a lot quicker and a lot more immediate,” Damian said. “Traditionally, event organizers have had to go through pictures manually. Using Instagram, what we are hoping to do is see the photos as they come in and judge them so we can get scores in quickly.”
Awards will be given for photos that are the most creative and have the most gold in them after the event.
The event is taking the place of the usual relay race in order to freshen up the Maroon Cup competition.
“We wanted to mix things up this year,” Damian said. “We came up with the idea for Gold Rush and started to run with it because people got excited for it right away.”
Damian expects 60 to 70 competitors at the event. He also hopes the new competition will spark some creativity amongst competitors never seen at the homecoming events.
“It’s going to challenge the participants to think creatively and competitively. That’s something that doesn’t happen all that much during homecoming week, which is just competition-based,” Damian said.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here