COLUMN: Wouldn’t it be nice?
Registration for the spring semester has just been announced, but more than likely, you wouldn’t know it.
Sure, a reminder to register for classes is currently posted on the university website, but I don’t go to the homepage very often, usually unless I have to. I have the Blackboard and CMail pages, the ones I used the most, bookmarked on my web browser. The only time I’ve needed to go to the university homepage is to register for classes.
But even registering for classes has slipped my mind lately, being so busy with classes and working for the newspaper.
I only was reminded about registering for classes for the upcoming spring semester by a few friends’ posts on Facebook. That should not be how I am reminded about registering for classes.
An email reminder from the university of the dates when students can register would go a long way. It would alleviate a lot of the already-mounting stress students have from classes, working and other things in our lives.
This time last year, when registering for spring semester classes, I found out about registration from a friend. This was three weeks into the registration period. Although I was freaking out at first, I did get pretty lucky and obtained the correct classes and at pretty decent times (I don’t think I had a class that began before noon).
But, some people might not be so lucky. Because they might not be on top of when their registration is, they might get the classes they need for the upcoming semester, possibly setting them back even further.
Once I found out about registration this year, I immediately hopped on my computer and selected my classes to register for when my waiting period ends. The same could be said for the current semester. I chose my classes immediately.
Such an important period for students should not be the last thing on our minds. Students get so wrapped up in their studies, work and social lives they often forget when registration is. Or worse, they don’t even know when their registration period begins.
I do feel like this situation is similar to when the university changed the website’s design to what it is now. Students were outraged at the lack of timeliness when the site changed format.
I know the big difference: it’s up to me to know when to register for classes. But a reminder from the university can’t hurt.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- john wood: I have a 99 kawasaki zrx1100 and I need a engine case for it…
- Marty: Hi I am searching for a Honda rear wheel hub,shaft drive (d…
- Karen Ohneck: Scott you are awesome I have known you for8 yrs. These kids …
- Samantha: Go Kirsten!!!! U are my mentor and I hope u will come back t…
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here