Women’s soccer loses 1-0 in 2OT to Miami (Ohio); first home loss since 2008
Both Miami (Ohio) and the Central Michigan women’s soccer team came into Friday’s game with impressive winning streaks, but only Miami walked away with theirs intact.
The Red Hawks defeated CMU 1-0 in double overtime as the sun was setting and tensions rising on the field of the CMU Soccer Complex.
Miami (Ohio) came into Friday’s game 8-0 on the road, while CMU hadn’t lost a game at home since 2008.
“It is what it is,” head coach Neil Stafford said. “I’m just disappointed for the ladies. Every year, there’s a class that doesn’t come back and your heart bleeds for them.”
Just seconds into double overtime, Miami got a breakaway. As the ball traveled down the field, senior goalkeeper Stefanie Turner made a split-second decision to dive for the ball just outside the box, leaving the goal unattended and allowing freshman midfielder Haley Walter to score and secure the win for Miami.
After the goal, Turner lay on the field clutching her knee as a dog pile of red uniforms celebrated their victory just yards away.
Stafford said the injury won’t likely keep Turner from playing in Sunday’s game against Ball State.
“Stef’s leg would have to be hanging off her body to not play. She’ll be fine,” Stafford said. “We’ll assess tonight, and then make a decision about playing Sunday.”
The game was balanced, with plenty of back and forth play and neither team dominating possession.
The Chippewas had just one more shot than the RedHawks, taking 15 to Miami’s 14. Both teams had two corner kicks.
Miami had 18 fouls compared to CMU’s 10, but Stafford said the game wasn’t the most aggressive he’s seen.
“We’ve been in more physical competitions,” Stafford said. “This was just two good teams going at each other in wet conditions. It was well fought by both teams.”
The Chippewas are now 11-3-1 overall and 7-2-0 in the MAC. CMU will face Ball State at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Muncie, Ind.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here