LETTER: Halftime Snub to Veterans
Did anybody else notice that at Central’s Homecoming halftime, the band played an anti-war song “in support of the troops?”
The song “Johnny, I Hardly Knew You” is a woman singing about her husband coming home from a war having lost both legs and at least one arm. It’s Irish, originally.
The last verse is the woman promising her husband that despite the fact that “They’re rolling out the guns again… they never will take our sons again.” I am not entirely sure that this was the message that the band had meant to convey.
Was this an oversight by the whomever chose the piece? Or were they not expecting anyone in the audience to have a knowledge of Irish folk music?
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
- Kellie: We miss miss you Carolyn. You still are remember on the socc…
- anonymous: I know this girl was in the wrong, but, put yourself in her …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here