Football / Sports / Top Stories

Heeke still ‘very supportive’ of Enos building a program

A day after the Associated Press had a story listing Dan Enos as one of 10 college football coaches on the hot seat, athletics director Dave Heeke supported his head coach.

The story by Ralph Russo of AP pointed out that Central Michigan got accustomed to winning the Mid-American Conference under former coaches Butch Jones and Brian Kelly, but Enos has eight wins — three of which are against Football Championship Subdivision teams — in three seasons.

“We are very supportive of Enos and his staff and the process of building a program up,” Heeke said. “We see steps that they are taking that sometimes are hard for the public to see.”

Enos went 3-9 in his first two seasons as CMU head coach and is 2-5 to begin this season, losing four-straight games.

Enos said Tuesday after practice he is not feeling any pressure and thinks that his team has shown improvement.

Last February, Heeke showed his support for Enos by giving him a one-year extension through the 2015 season, declaring the program was “all-in” with Enos and his staff.

“We are all-in with Dan Enos and his strong vision for and dedication to rebuilding this program into a perennial championship contender that has a foundation for sustainable success,” Heeke said in a statement after the extension. “Continuity, stability, and commitment are the critical qualities needed at this point to define the next chapter of Chippewa Football success.”

With five games remaining, Enos and the Chippewas will try to show improvements in the win column against Akron, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Miami and Massachusetts. CMU has lost four-straight games after upsetting Iowa in the third game of the season.

The head coach is looking for his fifth Mid-American Conference win at 3:30 p.m. Saturday against Akron at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

“We’re very supportive of coach Enos and the players, and are excited to see the rest of the season,” Heeke said.

1. Logical Chip says:

Heeke:

The program did not need “building”! We won the MAC championship in 2006, 2007, and 2009. We needed a coach to SUSTAIN the championship culture, not destroy what we had in order to rebuild it. Your choice has failed miserably. It is time to admit the mistake and move forward with a coach who does not want to make our team a poor copy of a mid to late 80s George Perles MSU team.

2. Heeke, I think I’d like to organize a campaign to get you relieved of your duties. Do your job. Fire this guy and get someone with a proven track record in here. I don’t know how low you want the program to sink. See that $925,000 you’ve got coming from playing Ohio State in 2016? I know what you can spend it on. A BUYOUT!

3. Hey, let’s hang a thirty-story banner from a New York skyscraper advertising a head coach vacancy ala Joey Harrington!

4. OMG! This quote says it all “We are all-in with Dan Enos and his strong vision for and dedication to rebuilding this program into a perennial championship contender that has a foundation for sustainable success,” Heeke said in a statement after the extension. “Continuity, stability, and commitment are the critical qualities needed at this point to define the next chapter of Chippewa Football success.” One person who is clueless is sad–two clueless is scary. These two are on a path to mediocrity. The new norm for CMU football. This Heeke-Enos chapter in CMU football will go down in the history of the Chippewas as being one of the worst.

5. michmediaperson says:

Donald Trump is offering Barack Hussein Obama $5 million to his favorite charity for Obama’s college transcripts and passport records, which I would think any candidate would be willing to do UNLESS THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE.

Why doesn’t the Liberal Poly Science Dept or George Ross call Paul Begala and have Begala call Obama and get it done…and name CMU as a charity. We get 1 million bucks and we’ll have plenty of money to get our football program turned around.

We’re in desperate need for about $700,000 although I like the banner idea in New York City.

6. Try to steal Wayne State’s coach. Took his team to their first ever D2 playoff appearance and all the way to the final.

7. Heeke must think that whole Mike DeBord era debacle was also a building period. Enos is rebuilding the losing tradition, not a championship tradition.