Search still not underway for vacant associate CMED dean job
The search for a new associate dean of student affairs for Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine remains at a halt.
Halloween serves as the three-month mark since the end of former associate dean Lori Arviso Alvord’s term. Alvord resigned from her job in July and accepted a similar position at the University of Arizona’s College of Medicine. Dr. Joel Lanphear was immediately named interim associate dean and has served in that role since.
“When initiated, the search will follow standard CMU procedures and policies,” Ernest Yoder, founding CMED dean said. “We will focus on people already working in offices of student affairs, focusing on medical schools.”
Although Yoder said there are no ideal candidates that stick out in his mind, he does anticipate asking Sarah Yonder, associate medical director of University Health Services, to apply for the job.
“In the interim, Dr. Sarah Yonder is working with Dr. Lanphear in student affairs,” Yoder said. “She is learning the ropes of the office and its functions. We believe she will develop into a very viable candidate for the position within the next several months.”
In addition to her position as medical director, Yonder also serves as an adjunct faculty member. According to her bio page, this is her sixth year at CMU and began as a staff physician taking care of students and participating in health education.
However, no official search or decisions have been conducted.
“In keeping with CMU’s human resource policies, a national search will be conducted to identify finalists for the position,” Director of Public Relations Steve Smith said. “Once finalists are identified, they will be invited to campus for interviews.”
The position as associate dean of student affairs includes participation in the development and operation of the medical program, being responsive to the needs of the state and being responsible for student affairs activities and student services within the College of Medicine.
The median salary for this position is $215,954. Alvord, hired from Dartmouth College as the fourth and final associate dean of the college in September 2010, was making $250,000 per year before her departure.
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- Hannah McCalister: I disagree with your statement. This was a great article and…
- Jason: Maybe it's just me, but I've never done anything this shorts…
- : no, this girl is insane. i went to high school with her. she…
- irish8517: While rate my professors is a valuable tool it should be tak…
- michmediaperson: Shapiro is wrong. Isn't RateMyProfessor, the report card st…
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here