LETTER: Song played by marching band not anti-war
Jimmy Shepherd’s letter printed in Wednesday’s paper raises an important question as to the origin of the anti-war folk tune, “Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye.”
Recent research has revealed that “When Johnny Comes Marching Home,” the folk song presented as part of the Marching Chips’ recent salute to Veterans, pre-dates the Irish parody Mr. Shepherd quotes.
As a component of the University that actually grew out of the officer training program during the First World War, the Chippewa Marching Band has a history of over ninety years of cooperation and support for veterans, active military, and our ROTC program.
We are proud of our American troops and honor them whenever we have the opportunity.
In fact, we annually present our “True Colors” award to the members of the band who are leaving us for military service.
There is nothing objectionable about Mr. Shepherd’s letter.
I am glad to set the record straight. But that’s the job of the CM Life editorial staff, isn’t it?
If the paper is going to print such a letter without making a single inquiry as to the questions asked, why attach a title that seems intended to inflame and insult?
Such laziness and childishness is beneath the reputation and tradition of CM Life and fails to represent the students of CMU with appropriate journalistic rigor.
What a shame.
Director The Chippewa Marching Band
Leave a Comment
Like us on Facebook
- CE: Another 3-9 season, and both Enos and Heeke have to go! …
- Andy Villemure: I am looking for a KZ 900 block Z1E, that has not cracks tha…
- anonymous: Totally disagree on Heeke. Think he showed some real balls i…
- Amy Easton: Please let me know your lessons learned, how you organized t…
- Pete: I thought Central won a bowl game this year??? The program …
• Is your baby graduating CMU? Place a personal greeting and photo in CM Life's Baby Graduates special pages. Download the form here
• Contact local movers in Mount Pleasant to help with all of your moving needs.
• Download Campus Cash Coupons!
• Search for local apartments
• Add your link here